question about header files

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Kevin Joplin, Jul 3, 2003.

  1. Kevin Joplin

    Kevin Joplin Guest

    Hi there,
    I've almost finished writing simple server application and i have one
    little doubt. Suppose we have main server code in server.c file. Rest
    of the code we divided into some pices and put into server_2.c,
    server_3.c etc. Now we need to share some of the server.c variables
    between server_2.c, server_3.c etc. so we put the declaractions of
    these variables in server.h with "extern" prefix and include it
    (server.h) in rest of the sources. We also put in server.h some consts
    describing server, such a port number, version, max lenght of nick
    etc. these information are necessary when someone would write a client
    application. so in server.h we gathered two types of information :
    external declarations for server sources (modules) and const for
    future client developers. i used tehnique shown below to separate
    these two kinds of adaptation:

    in server.h

    <cut>
    //informations about server
    const int SERVER_PORTNUMER = 2003;
    const int NICK_LENGHT = 20;
    //etc.

    #ifdet __SERVER
    //for other server modules
    extern int iUsers;
    //etc.
    #endif
    <cut>

    than i added in makefile : -D__SERVER

    all works good but i'm interested what are your opinions about this
    tehnique and how you solve similar problems ? is it good idea to keep
    two kinds of different information in one header file ? it allow to
    gather all stuff in one place. maybe there are some better styles,
    maybe you create a few different header files ... pls answer.
    thanks in advance.
    Kevin

    Kevin Joplin, Jul 3, 2003

  2. Kevin Joplin

    Jack Klein Guest

    If you are using C, including this file will in more than one
    translation unit (loosely, source code file) will result in undefined
    behavior and most likely linker complaints about multiple definitions
    of these integers with external linkage.

    If you are using C++, you are asking in the wrong group.
    Even assuming you meant "#ifdef" instead of "#ifdet", this line is
    illegal in both C and C++. Both languages prohibit the use of
    identifiers beginning with two underscores, or an underscore followed
    by an upper case letter.

    Too many programmers copy this format for symbols from what they see
    in header files that come with their compilers, without understanding
    why compilers use symbols like this. The reason is that they are
    specifically reserved for the implementation (compiler and its
    headers) and will not conflict with any symbol you can legally define
    in your program.
    Make files and compiler command line options (like "-D") are off-topic
    here, they are not language issues.
    Consider changing the "const int" objects with external linkage to
    either #define'd macros or enumeration values, and fix the illegal
    symbols.

    --
    Jack Klein
    Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

    Jack Klein, Jul 3, 2003

  3. Kevin Joplin

    Kevin Joplin Guest

    Hi there,
    i should correct my mistakes:
    i mean #ifdef of course ... so lets say
    #ifdef SERVER
    yes i have thare #define macros and enumeration values, sorry for such
    big mistakes ...

    could sb answer my questions now? thanks a lot.
    Kevin

    Kevin Joplin, Jul 3, 2003