question about running desktop apps within the CLR

S

SoftwareDummy

Lets say im running several different desktop apps (winforms), does that mean i have several instances of the CLR in memory ? If not, this is a good thing, because that is how java & swing-based apps work. Even for a piddly little 100K java app, you need to the monster jvm....and that is for each little 100K app.

Im about to leave java in the dust and get back into dotnet. i "decided" to go the java & j2ee route about 2yrs ago, after having done some pet projects with dotnet. i was smitten by the whole linux/java/mysql bug. now i think i will limit myself to php (or c++ if abs nessecary) if i truly must write something to run on a *nix machine.

S

SoftwareDummy

well this pretty much answers my questions right here
http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/clr/AppdomainFAQ.aspx#_Toc514058484

Lets say im running several different desktop apps (winforms), does that mean i have several instances of the CLR in memory ? If not, this is a good thing, because that is how java & swing-based apps work. Even for a piddly little 100K java app, you need to the monster jvm....and that is for each little 100K app.

Im about to leave java in the dust and get back into dotnet. i "decided" to go the java & j2ee route about 2yrs ago, after having done some pet projects with dotnet. i was smitten by the whole linux/java/mysql bug. now i think i will limit myself to php (or c++ if abs nessecary) if i truly must write something to run on a *nix machine.

Ask a Question