Question regarding software development environment,

snoopy_

Hello,
I have a question regarding what a normal development enviroment
would look like. In my current position we had three environments,
development, quality assurance, and production. Code is developed in
dev, migrated to qas, and eventually migrated to production. We
recently incorporated two additional environments dev2 and qas2 as a
for new development. I have seen this before, but there is usually a
switch where dev2 and qas2 become the new break/fix path, dev1 and
qas1 are scrubbed and become a refresh of prod. However, this never
happens here. The systems just flow along and are never refreshed.
Also, the code from dev1 almost never makes it to dev2 or vice versa
(or between qas1 and qas2). I am not a developer by trade, but this
seems a bit odd. Are there any comments or examples to how some
environments or models that are recommended? Or a site that discuss
these types of issues?

Thanks,
Snoopy_

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

[...]

All dev systems should synch from a central source code
repository frequently.

All QA system should be setup as similar to the production
environment the software to be tested is to be installed on
when it passes test.

Arne

snoopy_

Okay, I don't see that happening here. In other environments I've
seen software development stop at some point, then as a bundle changes
are migrated into production. Then the dev2 and qas2 environments are
a copy of current production, and the old dev1 and qas2 environments
are quiesced for a time in case there is a need to roll back. Seems
strange setup to me. Thanks.