question with registering domain name

Chip

Yes, almost any registrar will "park" your domain for free until you find a
host. Then you go back to your registrar and update the name servers to
point to your hosting company's servers.

Chip

Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu

VM said:
I'm interested in registering my domain name but I'm not sure which company
I'll choose to host my site.
Is it possible to just register my name at one company (I was thinking of
www.whois.com) and then search for another company that'll host my site?

Yes of course. Just tell your registrar to park your domain.

Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu

VM said:
Since I need asp.net hosting, is it normal to register my name with
www.whois.com and then host my site with some other ASP.NET Hoster ?

Yes. The registrar and hoster are completely independent and separate.
I thought that the company that I used to register my domain had to be the
same company that hosts my site.
No.

Also, do you know of any other companies that register domains and are as
trustworthy as Whois but cheaper? They do it for $25/yr. for 3 yrs.

I use www.godaddy.com, $10 a year. Good service. Only downside is they try to
sell you a billion things during sign up.. but good service, good price.

We used to use register.com and they very good, but $35 a year. Just not
worth it.

VM

Hi,
I'm interested in registering my domain name but I'm not sure which company
I'll choose to host my site.
Is it possible to just register my name at one company (I was thinking of
www.whois.com) and then search for another company that'll host my site?
My main concern is reserving the name so I have exclusive rights to it.

Thanks,
VM

Showjumper

We use directnic.com - 15 a year and good control panel to manage the domain
name. Also for hosting have a look at crystaltech.com or webhost4life.com

VM

Thanks.