Questions about Timing analysis and Component Instantiation.

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by systolic, Nov 29, 2004.

  1. systolic

    systolic Guest

    I am using Quartus for my VHDL coding. I have 2 questins here. Could
    someone please help me on them. TIA.

    1. For Quartus, there are lots of built-in LPM and ALT mega funcitons. I
    want to implement 2 RAMs in one module. Both of them use the same ALT
    mega function with different bus lengthes. I am supposed to just declare
    the component once. But how could instantiate it twice for 2 RAMs with
    different bus lengthes? Or I should encapsulate these 2 RAMs seperately
    into 2 different user-customised componentsbased based on the same ALT
    mega function, then instantiat my components.

    2. When I was doing the timing simulation with Quartus, the finaltiming
    analysis gives the report that the module can have the maximum clock
    around 56MHz. The clock I had for timing simulation is only 5MHz. But if
    I change the clock from 5MHz to 10MHz, thetiming simulation result will
    not be correct any more. What caused that? is that because the timing
    simulation is software-based simulation, it needs more time to compute
    all kinds of outputs, inputs of logic elements for the whole module?

    Thanks for any advices or comments. Maybe I am asking wrong questions.

    systolic, Nov 29, 2004

  2. Consider writing your own ram code.
    see section 7-14 on p14
    http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/qts/qts_qii51007.pdf

    Consider using modelsim or sonata for functional simulation.
    Use Quartus only for static timing.

    -- Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, Nov 29, 2004