    know how bad that would be.

    There, I've said it.
    If I unexpectedly die, know that it was no accident.

    Alex Combas, Feb 11, 2006

  2. Alex Combas

    James Britt Guest

    There are a few. Artima's Ruby Buzz is one.

    Fowl play?

    The duck did it.

    But he left this clue:

    http://www.rubygarden.com/ruby?RssFeeds

    James Britt, Feb 11, 2006

  3. Alex Combas

    Alex Combas Guest

    Alex Combas, Feb 11, 2006
  4. Alex Combas

    James Britt Guest

    There are two "Planet Ruby" sites, one in Japanese, one in English.

    I just can't think of their names.

    Now, if everyone with an RSS feed of some sort listed it on RubyGarden,
    it would be easier to find them.

    Just a thought.

    Freakin' quacks ...

    James Britt, Feb 12, 2006
  5. D=C5=88a Nede=C4=BEa 12 Febru=C3=A1r 2006 02:56 James Britt nap=C3=ADsal:
    Right. I'm worried. Now comes the part where you knock on my door with a tr=
    out=20
    and a paddle?

    David Vallner

    David Vallner, Feb 12, 2006
  6. Alex Combas

    Dave Burt Guest

    Here? --> http://rubygarden.org/ruby?RssFeeds

    Cheers,
    Dave

    Dave Burt, Feb 12, 2006
  7. Alex Combas

    dblack Guest

    dblack, Feb 12, 2006
  8. Alex Combas

    Alex Combas Guest

    But my point was that if you go here http://rubygarden.org/
    and scroll down a bit you'll see that there is a list of over
    23 personal ruby blogs from developers. This is not even a very
    complete list. My personall rss feeds are almost as big
    and half of them are not listed on rubygarden.

    It would be really nice if we could get a http://planet.ruby-lang.org
    Look at Planet Gnome for an example http://planet.gnome.org

    For the time being artima has something similar listed here
    http://www.artima.com/buzz/community.jsp?forum=3D123

    But having a good url makes a world of difference (pun intentional).

    Alex Combas, Feb 12, 2006
  9. Alex Combas

    James Britt Guest

    Oh, of course, and I didn't read any attitude into your post.

    But, now that you mention it ...

    :)

    Except that such a URL suggests it is an "official" Ruby feed site, and
    all issues associated with that (what feeds are included, or left out,
    who decides this, is content restricted, and so on).
    Of course. Such sites may suit many people, but there is still a need
    for some reasonably updated list of feeds for people who want to
    assemble their own feed buffet. A Planet-type site, assuming it also
    listed its sources, could possibly do that, but it runs into something
    of the same problem as with the RubyGarden wiki page: How does it stay
    up-to-date? A core group of people scoring the Web for new sites? Site
    owners adding/amending their own sites? Some mix of these?

    The interesting thing about the RubyGarden page is that, to me, the
    sense of a shared culture in the Ruby community is getting stretched
    thinner and thinner. There are many people who first think of the wiki
    as the place to add or look for things, while there are many who may not
    even know the wiki exists. We end up with multiple places that are all
    attempting the same task. (I'm not entirely sure that is a bad thing,
    or if the alternatives are any better, but I can see problems with it).

    Pop quiz: Where do you go to see if some Ruby user group exists?

    I've no doubt someone has already written such a beast using Rails.
    Probably more than one person.

    The issue is not software, but maintenance. I tend to prefer a means of
    autodiscovery rather than rely on, or burden, any group of people to
    stay on top of things. (For example, a reasonably unique phrase in a
    site's metadata might make it easily locatable via search engines. )

    Depends on the description and page title shown by the search engine.
    One nice thing about search engines is that catchy URLs are increasingly
    less important. But I get your point. (Though I wonder how many
    people know what the 'planet' part of the URL implies. It's not
    intrinsic to the word itself, so it, again, becomes a cultural matter.)

    Artima hosts Ruby Code & Style and The C++ Journal. From discussions
    with Bill Venner, I would be reluctant to simply label Artima "mainly a
    Java house."

    This is an issue for many people, and why distributed resources are
    often a better option.

    James Britt, Feb 12, 2006
  10. Dave Cantrell, Feb 13, 2006
  11. Alex Combas

    James Britt Guest

    :(

    They have the wrong feed for my site.

    They'll end up getting *every* post I make, not only the Ruby ones.

    And their list of feeds is way too small.

    Oh well. The Web's a big place.

    --
    James Britt

    "In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly
    universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by
    uncertainty cannot be the truth."
    - R. Feynman

    James Britt, Feb 13, 2006
  12. Alex Combas

    Alex Combas Guest

    Now thats what Im talking about!
    Talk about a time machine you can dance with.

    You wouldnt happen to be, or at least know who
    the maintainer is do you?

    Alex Combas, Feb 13, 2006
  13. No earthly idea. I just googled and it was there.

    Dave Cantrell, Feb 14, 2006