RDBMS table definition to WordXML Word table

liam.caffrey

Hi,

I would like to take my relation database table definitions
(SQL Server from sysobjects & syscolumns) and convert them to
XML so that Word for Windows can open them and have them appear
as a formatted Word table.

What I should look at to do this? Is it even feasible, practicable? I
read the Word XML is a bit of a kludge.

I saved a simple Word table as XML and had a look.
It didn't look too pretty. I could hack something but I am sure
that there is a more elegant (somewhat) way of doing this.

Regards

Liam

scooterm

A simple HTML table will open in Word no problem. Since a well-formed
HTML table is fully compatible with XML, use whatever tool you would
use to output your database data as HTML, and then simply open
it in Word, or cut-and-paste the HTML text into an existing Word
document.

liam.caffrey

Of course, I hadn't thought of that. Thank you.

For reference, is there a way how this can be done using Word XML. Like
some kind of XML template file into which I can run the data from the
database to produce Word XML.

Regards

Liam

scooterm

As you already know, the "native XML" format of Word has a
lot of 'not-so-pretty' formatting and stuff in it. Absent additional
knowledge of what programming tools you use, it is best to
recommend HTML if you want a quick-and-easy way to translate
between plain datbase tables and something pretty that works
with Word (and does not take a lot of time to figure out).

liam.caffrey

I now have it working very nicely using HTML. Thank you.

I am curious to know what alternative approaches you think that one
could use to do this, disregarding tools knowledge.

Liam