Re: ASPX Page Timeout - Session Timeout

bruce barker

see >>

DavidS said:
First: There are several ways to confuse one regarding session timeout.
(1) web.config - <sessionState timeout="20">
(2) IIS Manager | Internet Information Services | ServerNode | Default Web Site |
Properties | Configuration | Options | Enable Session State
Session timeout 20
(3) within Global.asax.vb file - Session_Start subroutine can use
Session.Timeout=x minutes or
(4) within any web page, i.e., <web page>.aspx can use Session.Timeout=value
Second: Problem I'm having is understanding what controls what!
Basically, I need the capability for most data entry aspx web pages to be
say 20 minutes timeout. One other data entry aspx web page I would like to
be 60 minutes. I'm having a problem doing this.
Question(1) - Can you dynamically vary the session timeout for different
aspx web pages - and if so HOW would I do this.
session

Question(2) - Where can I understand BEST the relationship between all the
ways to change the timeout values - i.e., does each method discussed above
work to change the session timeout.

ASP.Confused

From my understanding, page level changes to the session state override
everything else, and web.config controls the default timeout.

ASP.Confused

Read this...it may help:
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Web/Q_20911575.html

DavidS said:
Bruce:

Before I composed this newsletter to assistance, I did do the following...

I had one Page_Load sub of ASPX web page with Session.Timeout = 20.
I had another Page_Load sub of ASPX web page with Session.Timeout = 60.

There were 2 ways I could do this - I assumed either in code-behind /
aspx.vb Page_Load or in HTML - JavaScript. I tried both and here is what
happens.