Re-taking VHDL class and need help.

mugz

I am re-taking my VHDL class because I ended up with a "D". Mostly my
fault but also Professor was not very good at explaining. She pretty
much gave us a sheet of paper and told us the first project was due
within 2 weeks. The projects I do not think were that hard if you knew
what you are doing except the final project works up to building a
CPU.

Does anyone know of a good EASY to read and UNDERSTAND book I could
get? I googled my computer to death last semester. I got some info but
nothing that really explained, just examples and I did not know why
they did stuff.

Any help would be great, not to mention it is my last semester so I
got to get this class up to at least a "C" or I might spending an
extra semester here at school.

Charles M. Elias

I am re-taking my VHDL class because I ended up with a "D". Mostly my
fault but also Professor was not very good at explaining. She pretty
much gave us a sheet of paper and told us the first project was due
within 2 weeks. The projects I do not think were that hard if you knew
what you are doing except the final project works up to building a
CPU.

Does anyone know of a good EASY to read and UNDERSTAND book I could
get? I googled my computer to death last semester. I got some info but
nothing that really explained, just examples and I did not know why
they did stuff.

Any help would be great, not to mention it is my last semester so I
got to get this class up to at least a "C" or I might spending an
extra semester here at school.

You are sure to get diverse opinions on this, but my favorite VHDL
book is "The Designer's Guide to VHDL" by Peter Ashenden. He does
have some chapters on the design of a CPU. I have both the first and
second editions of this book as well as a number of other VHDL books,
and I think "The Designer's Guide to VHDL" is excellent. I wish you
the best of luck in your second try at the VHDL course.

Best Regards,

Charles

Jim Lewis

For a beginner book that you can read cover to cover,
I like:
J. Bhasker's VHDL Primer

Cheers,
Jim
I am re-taking my VHDL class because I ended up with a "D". Mostly my
fault but also Professor was not very good at explaining. She pretty
much gave us a sheet of paper and told us the first project was due
within 2 weeks. The projects I do not think were that hard if you knew
what you are doing except the final project works up to building a
CPU.

Does anyone know of a good EASY to read and UNDERSTAND book I could
get? I googled my computer to death last semester. I got some info but
nothing that really explained, just examples and I did not know why
they did stuff.

Any help would be great, not to mention it is my last semester so I
got to get this class up to at least a "C" or I might spending an
extra semester here at school.

Jim Lewis
Director of Training mailto:[email protected]
1-503-590-4787

Duane Clark

Charles said:
You are sure to get diverse opinions on this, but my favorite VHDL
book is "The Designer's Guide to VHDL" by Peter Ashenden. He does
have some chapters on the design of a CPU. I have both the first and
second editions of this book as well as a number of other VHDL books,
and I think "The Designer's Guide to VHDL" is excellent. I wish you
the best of luck in your second try at the VHDL course.

Yep, I completely agree. Not only was it very readable and useful to me
when starting out, but even after several years of using VHDL, I still
refer to it.

Jim Lewis

Peter's book is great. It has 30 pages on everything.
I consider it a selected topics book. For beginners,
there is too much information. So I recommend that a
beginner read Bhasker's book or take a good training
class first.

For intermediate/advanced VHDL coders, Peter's book is
my number one recommended book.

Cheers,
Jim
Jim Lewis
Director of Training mailto:[email protected]
1-503-590-4787

e7

mugz said:
I am re-taking my VHDL class because I ended up with a "D". Mostly my
fault but also Professor was not very good at explaining. She pretty
much gave us a sheet of paper and told us the first project was due
within 2 weeks. The projects I do not think were that hard if you knew
what you are doing except the final project works up to building a
CPU.

Does anyone know of a good EASY to read and UNDERSTAND book I could
get? I googled my computer to death last semester. I got some info but
nothing that really explained, just examples and I did not know why
they did stuff.

Any help would be great, not to mention it is my last semester so I
got to get this class up to at least a "C" or I might spending an
extra semester here at school.

Hi,

I'm new and trying to learn also. What systems do they teach you to use
to program up a chip? Does the software run on PC - may be Linux?
Which chips are easy to learn and use?

Joe

mugz said:
I am re-taking my VHDL class because I ended up with a "D". Mostly my
fault but also Professor was not very good at explaining. She pretty
much gave us a sheet of paper and told us the first project was due
within 2 weeks. The projects I do not think were that hard if you knew
what you are doing except the final project works up to building a
CPU.

Does anyone know of a good EASY to read and UNDERSTAND book I could
get? I googled my computer to death last semester. I got some info but
nothing that really explained, just examples and I did not know why
they did stuff.

Any help would be great, not to mention it is my last semester so I
got to get this class up to at least a "C" or I might spending an
extra semester here at school.

On VHDL FAQ part 2:
http://www.vhdl.org/comp.lang.vhdl/FAQ2.html
At the bottom of the page, you can found some free stuffs
e.g. the VHDL manual is short but it is easy to carry around.

In addition, there is Actel Coding guide
http://www.actel.com/documents/hdlcode.pdf
It covers basic design coding for both VHDL and Verilog.

For practice, goto www.xilinx.com and download the Modelsim for
XIlinx edition. It is free and is good enough for testing your
VHDL designs. (Unfortunately it is windows only).

Joe

srivaths

i guess u can try out VHDL book by "douglas perry" i guess i got the
spelling right....thats a neat book which covers everything u need...

Brian Drummond

You are sure to get diverse opinions on this, but my favorite VHDL
book is "The Designer's Guide to VHDL" by Peter Ashenden.

Another vote for Ashenden here. But I suggest also googling for
Ashenden's "VHDL Cookbook". It is (was?) a free download covering the
basics (including a very simple CPU) clearly and concisely.

- Brian

HDL Book Seller

We strongly recommend Ben Cohen's book, "VHDL Coding Styles &
Methodologies", as it's a great reference and Ben is considered one of
the top VHDL Gurus. However, we're a bit biased because we sell it.
$69 on Amazon.

HDL Book Sellers