    I sometimes come back to this question once in a while;There is no right orwrong or one answer;Maybe the question itself is flawed; Just some thoughts and some information which can help you when you are the interviewer;
    I have gone on from C++ to Java now ; and other languages in the way and ahead; I have created structures (http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/26078/A-C-Plug-in-ThreadPool-Design)in C++ because problems needed it.I am not a rock star programmer; but I would not have disappointed anyone who had hiredme at that time; When I interview someone now, I never ask anything theoretical; I just ask them what they did; and from their answer dig into some depths and try to gauge ; Yes I do ask some very basic technology related questions but if they have made a difference in their work, are passionate about their designs and structures I tend to like them. To attain any goal you don't need to start off by knowing everything or anything ;love will finda way;okay I did not mean to end it like that; but let it be;

    , May 2, 2014

  2. Öö Tiib Guest

    Yes, others pointed out back then that the analogy you used does not
    hold because software engineer *is* like car mechanic, software user is
    like car driver. Being good mechanic is not *only* about good knowledge
    of the engineering tools however.
    See ... sometimes C++ has to be the tool that is used for making a product.
    There are different software like some web site, discussion forum or a
    puzzle game on one hand and software in elevator, crane or car on the
    other hand. The latter 3 are often written in C++ for various reasons.
    If web site hangs, forum drops you out or game crashes then it is bit
    different than when elevator hangs, crane drops its load or car
    crashes. ;)

    Öö Tiib, May 4, 2014