Re: To be a good driver do you have to be a great mechanic

Discussion in 'C++' started by alexcpn@gmail.com, May 2, 2014.

  1. Guest

    On Saturday, January 4, 2003 10:08:53 PM UTC+5:30, Alex C.P wrote:
    > I am not that much exp.My knowledge of c++ is average.I am a very good
    > programmer.Before I landed a job I attended various interviews.Well
    > what striked me as stipid is that every one was asking me c++ as if I
    > have designed the language and the compiler.People are concentrating
    > on becoming experts in a lang.Not many are thinking about new
    > ideas.Language was meant as a tool to communicate ideas right.So to be
    > a good driver do you really have to be a great mechanic.

    I sometimes come back to this question once in a while;There is no right orwrong or one answer;Maybe the question itself is flawed; Just some thoughts and some information which can help you when you are the interviewer;
    I have gone on from C++ to Java now ; and other languages in the way and ahead; I have created structures (http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/26078/A-C-Plug-in-ThreadPool-Design)in C++ because problems needed it.I am not a rock star programmer; but I would not have disappointed anyone who had hiredme at that time; When I interview someone now, I never ask anything theoretical; I just ask them what they did; and from their answer dig into some depths and try to gauge ; Yes I do ask some very basic technology related questions but if they have made a difference in their work, are passionate about their designs and structures I tend to like them. To attain any goal you don't need to start off by knowing everything or anything ;love will finda way;okay I did not mean to end it like that; but let it be;

    , May 2, 2014

  2. Öö Tiib Guest

    On Friday, 2 May 2014 11:04:15 UTC+3, wrote:
    > On Saturday, January 4, 2003 10:08:53 PM UTC+5:30, Alex C.P wrote:
    > > I am not that much exp.My knowledge of c++ is average.I am a very good
    > > programmer.Before I landed a job I attended various interviews.Well
    > > what striked me as stipid is that every one was asking me c++ as if I
    > > have designed the language and the compiler.People are concentrating
    > > on becoming experts in a lang.Not many are thinking about new
    > > ideas.Language was meant as a tool to communicate ideas right.So to be
    > > a good driver do you really have to be a great mechanic.

    > I sometimes come back to this question once in a while;There is no right
    > or wrong or one answer;Maybe the question itself is flawed;

    Yes, others pointed out back then that the analogy you used does not
    hold because software engineer *is* like car mechanic, software user is
    like car driver. Being good mechanic is not *only* about good knowledge
    of the engineering tools however.

    > Just some thoughts and some information which can help you when you are
    > the interviewer;
    >
    > I have gone on from C++ to Java now ; and other languages in the way
    > and ahead; I have created structures
    > (http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/26078/A-C-Plug-in-ThreadPool-Design)
    > in C++ because problems needed it.

    See ... sometimes C++ has to be the tool that is used for making a product.

    > I am not a rock star programmer; but I would not have disappointed anyone
    > who had hired me at that time; When I interview someone now, I never ask
    > anything theoretical; I just ask them what they did; and from their
    > answer dig into some depths and try to gauge ; Yes I do ask some very
    > basic technology related questions but if they have made a difference
    > in their work, are passionate about their designs and structures I tend
    > to like them. To attain any goal you don't need to start off by knowing
    > everything or anything ;love will find a way;okay I did not mean to end
    > it like that; but let it be;

    There are different software like some web site, discussion forum or a
    puzzle game on one hand and software in elevator, crane or car on the
    other hand. The latter 3 are often written in C++ for various reasons.
    If web site hangs, forum drops you out or game crashes then it is bit
    different than when elevator hangs, crane drops its load or car
    crashes. ;)

    Öö Tiib, May 4, 2014