Reading a file from another machine on the network

mineshdesai

Hello,

I have a requirement in which i want to read a file from another
machine in the network. And also the machine is password protected.

Can any one help me out in this.

I tried doing it in following way,

URI uri = URI.create("file://9.182.198.145/shared");

File file = new File(uri);

As i excute this code i get an exception as:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: URI has an authority component

Can any one help me out in this.

Thanks in Advance

Michael Rauscher

Hello,

I have a requirement in which i want to read a file from another
machine in the network. And also the machine is password protected.

Which protocol?
Can any one help me out in this.

I tried doing it in following way,

URI uri = URI.create("file://9.182.198.145/shared");

File file = new File(uri);

As i excute this code i get an exception as:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: URI has an authority component

Seems like the above is treated as UNC name which can't be used accross
platforms. E. g. Linux would look for a file 'shared' in directory
'9.182.198.145'.

Under windows you might want to try
"file://username:p[email protected]/shared"

but perhaps it's easier to mount the share via

net use X: \\9.182.198.145\Shared <password> /user:<username>

and then access the file via X: ;)

Bye
Michael

mineshdesai

Which protocol?

Seems like the above is treated as UNC name which can't be used accross
platforms. E. g. Linux would look for a file 'shared' in directory
'9.182.198.145'.

Under windows you might want to try
"file://username:p[email protected]/shared"

but perhaps it's easier to mount the share via

net use X: \\9.182.198.145\Shared <password> /user:<username>

and then access the file via X: ;)

Bye
Michael

Michael Thanks for reply,

I will explain you the requirement,

I have few machines on the network, i want to access a file under
"shared" folder on the machine with i.p address as 9.182.198.145

and all the systems have windows OS.

One more thing i tried with following code and i got the same
exception

URI uri = URI.create("file://username:p[email protected]/shared");

File file = new File(uri);

can you please help me out in this.

Thanks

Michael Rauscher

Michael Thanks for reply,

I will explain you the requirement,

I have few machines on the network, i want to access a file under
"shared" folder on the machine with i.p address as 9.182.198.145

and all the systems have windows OS.

One more thing i tried with following code and i got the same
exception

Sorry, I was wrong.

Either you've got access to the Share, then you can simply use the UNC
name (\\9.182.198.145\Shared). Otherwise I thinkg you'd have to map the
Share to a drive letter or to have a look at http://jcifs.samba.org ;)

Bye
Michael

mineshdesai

(e-mail address removed) schrieb:

Sorry, I was wrong.

Either you've got access to the Share, then you can simply use the UNC
name (\\9.182.198.145\Shared). Otherwise I thinkg you'd have to map the
Share to a drive letter or to have a look athttp://jcifs.samba.org;)

Bye
Michael- Hide quoted text -

Correct me if iam wrong...

I have to Map the shared folder on my system then use the drive name
give to the mapped folder in file constructor.

Secondly,

Shared folder is password protected, so now what should be done?

Thanks
Minesh

Lew

I have to Map the shared folder on my system then use the drive name
give to the mapped folder in file constructor.

Secondly,

Shared folder is password protected, so now what should be done?

You have to provide the password when you mount the folder, so that part is
already done. In effect, the drive mapping idea pushes the security problem
out of Java space into user head space.

-- Lew

mineshdesai

You have to provide the password when you mount the folder, so that part is
already done. In effect, the drive mapping idea pushes the security problem
out of Java space into user head space.

-- Lew

Is there any other alternative for this.
That is,
any alternative for mapping the folder into local drive.

because if server changes then i need to again map the folder. Thats
not feasible to do if i have to access many other machines.

-- Minesh

Chris Uppal

Is there any other alternative for this.
That is,
any alternative for mapping the folder into local drive.

jCIFS will probably do it.

http://jcifs.samba.org/

User-space implementation (in Java) of the SMB/CIFS network protocol which
underlies Windows shared filesystems. Client side only (as far as I know).

-- chris

Michael Rauscher

Is there any other alternative for this.
That is,
any alternative for mapping the folder into local drive.

because if server changes then i need to again map the folder. Thats
not feasible to do if i have to access many other machines.

I've already mentioned an alternative: http://jcifs.samba.org.

Bye
Michael

mineshdesai

jCIFS will probably do it.

http://jcifs.samba.org/

User-space implementation (in Java) of the SMB/CIFS network protocol which
underlies Windows shared filesystems. Client side only (as far as I know).

-- chris

Hey guys thanks for help, i was able to do it by using jCIFS

Bye
Minesh Desai