    engineering the code:
    http://www.goldinvestment.com/Purchasing/Scrap_Gold.asp

    Thanks

    Guest, Jun 17, 2005

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    you try a VIEW SOURCE to see what's rendered? There may be a clue in it.

    Curt_C [MVP], Jun 17, 2005

    Guest Guest

    I'd already picked through the source, but I can't find anything that looks
    like it's doing a query.

    Guest, Jun 18, 2005

    Guest

    Here you go. Free Gold price in XML feed.

    http://dgcsc.org/goldprices.htm

    , Jun 20, 2005

    Guest

    Oh, prices are in grams.

    1 ounce = 28.3495231 grams

    , Jun 20, 2005

    Tim Slattery Guest

    I believe that's one avoirdupois ounce. But precious metals are sold
    in Troy ounces.....

    According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_weight, one Troy ounce
    is 31.103477 gram.

    Tim Slattery, Jun 20, 2005

    Guest Guest

    I can't quite figure out this last part. How do I pull the value for:
    <Price currencyname="United States Dollar"
    currencycode="USD">14.0788</Price>
    from http://dgcsc.org/goldprices.xml and use it in my ASP code for the
    variable GoldPrice_Gram? Thanks.

    <%@ LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT" %>
    <%
    GoldPrice_Gram = 14.0788
    GramsPerTroyOunce = 31.103477
    GoldPrice_Ounce = GoldPrice_Gram * GramsPerTroyOunce

    response.write "Gold Price: " & round(GoldPrice_Ounce,4)
    %>

    Guest, Jun 21, 2005

    McKirahan Guest

    McKirahan, Jun 22, 2005

    Guest Guest

    Almost there, but it won't read the XML data if I try HTTP:
    oXML.load("http://dgcsc.org/goldprices.xml")
    '* Doesn't work. I hardcoded the URL just to make sure it was calling the
    correct location.

    oXML.load(Server.MapPath("goldprices.xml"))
    '* Works perfectly. For testing purposes I copied the goldprices.xml file
    from dgcsc.org into the same directly on the server as the ASP file.

    Anyone got any ideas how to get this last bit to work?
    Here's the complete code:

    <%@ LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT" %>
    <% Option Explicit
    '*
    Const cOZT = 31.103477
    Const cURL = "http://dgcsc.org/goldprices.xml"
    '*
    Dim iPRC
    iPRC = 0.0000
    '*
    Dim oXML
    Set oXML = CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")
    oXML.async = "false"
    '* oXML.load(cURL)
    oXML.load(Server.MapPath("goldprices.xml"))
    iPRC = oXML.getElementsByTagName("Price").item(21).text
    Set oXML = Nothing
    '*
    Response.Write "Gold Price: $" & Round(iPRC * cOZT,4) & " per ounce"
    %>

    Guest, Jun 22, 2005

    McKirahan Guest

    "oXML.load(cURL)" works for me.

    How do you know "it won't read"?

    Try adding this line after "oXML.load(cURL)"

    Response.Write "nodeName = " & oXML.documentElement.nodeName & "<br>"

    (Watch for word-wrap.)

    McKirahan, Jun 22, 2005

    Guest Guest

    Adding Response.Write "nodeName = " & oXML.documentElement.nodeName & "<br>"
    after oXML.load(cURL) gives me an error:
    Object required: 'documentElement'

    It seems like I had to add an extra step to get it to work, which I don't
    like as your's is cleaner. Do you have any ideas as to why this was
    necessary or any further steps in trouble shooting?

    set objHTTP = Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")

    objHTTP.open "GET", cURL, false
    objHTTP.send
    set objXML = objHTTP.responseXML

    Complete code:
    <%@ LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT" %>
    <% Option Explicit
    '*
    Const cOZT = 31.103477
    Const cURL = "http://dgcsc.org/goldprices.xml"
    '*
    Dim iPRC, objHTTP, objXML, oXML
    iPRC = 0.0000
    '*

    set objHTTP = Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")

    objHTTP.open "GET", cURL, false
    objHTTP.send
    set objXML = objHTTP.responseXML

    set oXML=CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")
    oXML.async= "false"
    oXML.load(objXML)

    Guest, Jun 22, 2005

    McKirahan Guest

    [snip]

    What's your O/S (+ version) and browser (+ version)?

    For example, Win98SE and IE5.5 or WinXPPro and IE6.0.

    McKirahan, Jun 22, 2005

    Guest Guest

    W2K Server SP4 & IE 6 (all updates)
    XPpro SP2 & IE 6 (all updates)

    Guest, Jun 22, 2005

    GunsGoldGod

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Since the service for precious metal prices has disconntinued i found a new one: Precious Metals XML Price Feed ( http :// www .xmlcharts.com/precious-metals.html ) - Good luck!

    GunsGoldGod, Oct 22, 2012