    beginner? so it takes you right from downloading the java environment
    through to programming etc, step - by step?

    thanks

    Jeremy Watts, Sep 7, 2004

  2. Books are generally no good for that,
    they usually come with either an 'easy-install'
    CD that takes care of it all for you (and
    installs an old version like 1.3.1) or
    they skip over it with something like..

    1) Install the Sun SDK (available from http://java.sun.com/)
    2) Test your installation with this 'HelloWorld' example..

    Another problem is that books cannot provide
    instructions for every variant of Java installation.
    It varies between Win/OS X/Linux (probably also
    for Linux variants)/Solaris..

    So. To give you some pointers on installation,
    let's do it here, and let's start with you
    describing your system/OS.

    Andrew Thompson, Sep 7, 2004

  3. And while I remember, there is an entire *group*
    dedicated to helping people who are new to Java.
    More details of that, and other fine Java groups, here..

    HTH

    Andrew Thompson, Sep 7, 2004
  4. Jeremy Watts

    Chris Uppal Guest

    I take it that 'goof' is a typo for 'good' not 'goofy'...

    (And if I'm wrong then I'm sure someone will be happy to make a few goofy
    recommendation... Andew ? ;-)

    There's a book called:

    Objects First with Java
    A Practical Introduction using BlueJ

    of which you can find a description here:

    http://www.bluej.org/objects-first/description.html

    Be warned: /I have not read the book/, so I can't actually recommend it (so
    maybe this is a bit goofy after all).

    So why suggest it ? The reason is that it's based on the BlueJ IDE. BlueJ is
    a Java IDE designed from the ground up for use in teaching beginners. I have
    looked at BlueJ (and the papers that describe its rationale) and it seems to me
    to be very well thought out for its purpose. The approach its designers took
    seems to me to show considerable intuition into both what programming is really
    about, and into how to teach it. AFAIK, the writers of the book have been
    heavily involved in the creation of BlueJ, as well as teaching with it, so I
    have hopes that the book is as well-considered as the IDE.

    Of course, the book may just be a pile of crap, but I hope not. In any case, I
    feel it's worth checking if you can find a copy to browse in your local
    bookshop. With luck somebody else here /has/ read it, and can comment more
    usefully.

    (Incidentally, the BlueJ tool is freely downloadable from the above website,
    but the book itself costs money.)

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Sep 7, 2004
  5. Jeremy Watts

    Jason Bell Guest

    Jason Bell, Sep 7, 2004
  6. Jeremy Watts

    Jeremy Watts Guest

    yeah i'm using windows xp. i've been to the sun site but find it extremely
    confusing as to what all the jargon means, and what i should be downloading
    exactly to suit my o/s

    thanks

    Jeremy Watts, Sep 7, 2004
  7. And ..who?

    Andrew Thompson, Sep 7, 2004
  8. (chuckles) I know what you mean.. Sun has
    too many products.. They should just trim
    it down to the one(, no ..two,no three!)
    that *I* need.. ;-)

    OK, let's see if I can find *my* way to the
    correct one for your system.

    1st up, I'd recommend getting the 1.5 release.
    1.5 is stil in the first stages, but it will quickly
    become the standard, and you can code and compile
    suitable for any version back to 1.1.

    So.. doing a quick search at sun 'download sdk 1.5'
    after a click or two gets me to here..
    <http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp>

    There is a table with columns on that page..
    "Download J2SE 5.0 RC | JRE | JDK "

    You need the top listed entry in the table, the
    JDK (Java *Development* Kit) link on the right..

    An 'Installation Instructions' link
    is immediately below.

    Open your internet connection real
    *wide* and dive in.

    BTW - you would be well advised to get the JavaDocs
    and the Java Tutorial so you can browse them off-line,
    but one step at a time..

    HTH

    Andrew Thompson, Sep 7, 2004
  9. I've read the BlueJ book, it's pretty good. Also recommended is 'Head
    First Java'. Both are reviewed on TechBookReport
    (http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html).

    Pan

    TechBookReport, Sep 7, 2004
  10. Jeremy Watts

    Yakov Guest

    Before buying any books, try to read my online Java lessons starting from this one:

    http://www.sys-con.com/story/?storyid=37902

    It starts with downloading and installing Java

    Regards,
    Yakov Fain

    Yakov, Sep 8, 2004
  11. Jeremy Watts

    IchBin Guest

    I would second that..

    Also you can look at "The Really Big Index, A list of all content pages
    in the The JavaTM Tutorial" at
    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/reallybigindex.html

    Also, instead of using some of the major java IDE's. Look at this one
    called: jGRASP at: http://www.jgrasp.org/

    This will provide you all you need as a beginner and not confuse you.. I
    kinda of like it and wish I had one like this when I started java or
    c/c++ programming. It even does class uml's.

    Oh, it's free.

    About jGRASP jGRASP version 1.7.1 Beta 3.
    Built on August 19, 2004.
    Copyright 1999-2004 Auburn University
    Website: http://www.jgrasp.org
    Project Director: James H. Cross II, Ph.D. Computer Science and
    Software Engineering 107 Dunstan Hall Auburn University, Alabama
    36849 graspATengDOTauburnDOTedu
    Chief Programmer: Larry A. Barowski
    Empirical Evaluation: Dr. Dean Hendrix
    Wireless Software: Dr. David Umphress

    Thanks in Advance...
    IchBin

    'Black holes are where God divided by zero.'
    -Steven Wright, comedian (1955- )

    IchBin, Sep 8, 2004