Regarding Static

sonu

Hi All,

Pls clarify me what is the difference between static member and static
method in c.

pls some one reply me with Example.

Richard Tobin

Pls clarify me what is the difference between static member and static
method in c.

There is no difference, since neither exists. Perhaps you were thinking
of C++ or Java?

-- Richard

Vladimir S. Oka

sonu said:
Hi Richard, is this any different in c ONLY

Is *what* any different in "c ONLY"???

Quote what and who you're replying to. See
<http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/>

Looking at your original post, and Richard's reply, I can't quite see
why you didn't understand the answer (or you didn't understand the
question?). To try to re-phrase it for you:

The things you mention (static members and static methods) do not exist
in C programming language (as standardised by ISO/ANSI). They do,
however, exist in C++ (an entirely different kettle of fish) and Java
(more obviously so). These languages are off-topic in this newsgroup,
and you should re-direct your question to comp.lang.c++ or
comp.lang.java.

Richard Tobin

Hi Richard, is this any different in c ONLY

As I said, static members and methods don't exist in C. They are
things that exist in some object oriented languages such as Java and
C++.

-- Richard

John Bode

sonu said:
Hi All,

Pls clarify me what is the difference between static member and static
method in c.

pls some one reply me with Example.

You're thinking of C++, not C. Followups set to comp.lang.c++.

My C++ is still a bit weak, so don't consider this to be authoritative.
Static members and static methods do not belong to a particular class
instance, and are not referenced through a particular class instance.
Instead, you refer to them using the class name and scope resolution
operator ::. The best way to illustrate it is with an example:

#include <iostream>

using std::cout;
using std::endl;

class MyClass
{
public:

MyClass()
{
m_staticInstance++;
}

~MyClass()
{
m_staticInstance--;
}

// Instance method
int getInstanceValue()
{
return m_instance;
}

// Static method
static void setStaticInstance(int value)
{
m_staticInstance = value;
}

// Instance member
int m_instance;

// Static member
static int m_staticInstance;
};

// If you declare a static member inside of a
// class, you must provide a corresponding
// definition of it outside of the class;
// this is necessary since the member
// has to exist independently
// of any class instance.

int MyClass::m_staticInstance = 0;

int main(void)
{
MyClass instance0, instance1;

// Refer to instance members and methods through
// the instance.

instance0.m_instance = 100;
instance1.m_instance = 200;

cout << "instance0.m_instance: "
<< instance0.m_instance << endl
<< "instance1.m_instance: "
<< instance1.m_instance << endl
<< "instance0.getInstanceValue(): "
<< instance0.getInstanceValue() << endl
<< "instance1.getInstanceValue(): "
<< instance1.getInstanceValue() << endl;

// Refer to static members and methods through
// the class name.
cout << "MyClass::m_staticInstance: "
<< MyClass::m_staticInstance << endl
<< "MyClass::getStaticInstance(): "
<< MyClass::m_staticInstance << endl;

MyClass::m_staticInstance = 3;

// Refer to static members and methods through
// the class name.
cout << "MyClass::m_staticInstance: "
<< MyClass::m_staticInstance << endl
<< "MyClass::getStaticInstance(): "
<< MyClass::m_staticInstance << endl;

return 0;
}

And the output:

john@marvin ~/prototypes/C++/static_demo $ ./static_demo
instance0.m_instance: 100
instance1.m_instance: 200
instance0.getInstanceValue(): 100
instance1.getInstanceValue(): 200
MyClass::m_staticInstance: 2
MyClass::getStaticInstance(): 2
MyClass::m_staticInstance: 3
MyClass::getStaticInstance(): 3

Default User

John said:
You're thinking of C++, not C. Followups set to comp.lang.c++.

For future occasions, be sure to crosspost as well as set follow-ups in
these situations. As it is, you posted a bunch of C++ that won't be
seen in clc++ unless someone replies, in which case they'll have no
idea what the original message was.

Brian

Jaspreet

Default said:
For future occasions, be sure to crosspost as well as set follow-ups in
these situations. As it is, you posted a bunch of C++ that won't be
seen in clc++ unless someone replies, in which case they'll have no
idea what the original message was.
I still seem to be missing something or probably did not sleep well
yesterday. Isn't the OP talking of static variables in C ? Or is it
just me who is halucinating ?

Static variables do exist in C. If you have a static variable inside a
function the lifetime of the variable is till the life of the program.

I know you guys (and gals) know that but am I still missing something ?

Keith Thompson

Jaspreet said:
I still seem to be missing something or probably did not sleep well
yesterday. Isn't the OP talking of static variables in C ? Or is it
just me who is halucinating ?

The OP asked about "static members" (in C, only structs have members,
and they can't be static) and "static methods" (C doesn't have
anything called "methods"; object-oriented languages often do).

If he wants to ask about static variables, he can certainly come back
here and do so (or read his C textbook).

Jaspreet

--
Thanks Keith for letting me know I am in my senses today. :) Yeah, let
the OP come back with his version of the question rather than we making