Remote debugging ASP.NET fails. I can attach to processes but not set breakpoints.

Peter Strøiman

Hi

I have a windows 2003 test server. I installed a web application on it,
including the debug symbol files.
I also installed the remote debugger from the Visual Studio 2003 DVD.

My client is a windows xp. Neither the client nor the server is on a domain.
Thus I replicated my local XP user account on the server.
Then I fired up the remote debugger using the command line
msvcmon -u servername\accountname
The account is member of virtually all user groups on the server, Debug
Users, VS Developers, Administrators

From my visual studio, if I open the debug menu, and check processes, I can
select my server, and get a list of processes.
If I attach to the w3wp.exe process on the server, it does not complain
about any settings being incorrect.
But if I set a breakpoint in my program, the server does not break when I
send a request where that breakpoint would hit.

I can also notice that if I get a list of processes on the local machine,
the aspnet_wp.exe process has the following in the type field: ".NET, Win32"
The w3wp.exe on my server only has "Win32" in the type field.
I guess this means that my debugging problem is a problem of debugging the
..NET framework remotely.

Does anybody have an idea what to do?

Thanks in advance,
Peter Strøiman