Report/letter production for Java?

Dave

I am considering building a financial application using Java SE and a
database back-end. The only area of concern for me is how I would produce
letters or reports with the Java application.

I would like the application to be able to produce letters which will be
automatically printed out (to be sent out to customers). I would also like
to be able to produce attractive reports which management staff can print
out.

For example, if MS Access is used, it has a very simple built-in "reports"
feature which can produce nice reports and letters. Obviously something like
Crystal Reports would be an option but that doesn't fit in with the
cost-model of this application due to license costs. HTML is an option, but
I'm not sure how easily this can interface with the Java application and
produce data-merged letters.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can use?

steve

[...]

Ireports & jasperreports.

lay your letters out , get your data from a database, render to pdf & email
or fax.

Steve

Dave

steve said:
Ireports & jasperreports.

lay your letters out , get your data from a database, render to pdf &
email
or fax.

Steve

Thanks Steve.

Can I implement JasperReports in a J2SE application, or does it have to be
J2EE?

steve

Thanks Steve.

Can I implement JasperReports in a J2SE application, or does it have to be
J2EE?

read the class notes, but yes you can use it in either. I think the
minimum is java 1.4 but i'm not sure.( itext is 1.2/1.3)
I already use the above system for building complex documents, not just
letters & forms

steve

ducnbyu

Dave said:
I am considering building a financial application using Java SE and a
database back-end. The only area of concern for me is how I would produce
letters or reports with the Java application.

I haven't used it, but you might consider BIRT (Business Intelligence
and Reporting Tools)

http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/

It's open source and integrates with Java. Also works with MySQL open
source database engine in case you are looking for free stuff.