    Can folks recommend methods of posting / reading this news group? Google Groups is just useless and I can't find another site open to new users (yet).. Google would / could forward me the messages via email but I'm worried that that is going to flood me with spam. I'll try that for a bit and see how that goes.

    Thank you,
    Perry

    pedz, Aug 18, 2011

  2. pedz

    Swifty Guest

    The perceived wisdom is to read it with a newsreader. I use the
    commercial "Agent" program by Forte, but you can get by with Outlook
    Express (emphasis on the "Express", not just Outlook).

    For a newsreader to work, you need a news server. Your ISP may offer a
    free one, or other people may recommend free ones.

    The problem with free newsservers is that people like the price, so it
    gets overloaded. As a matter of principle, I never advertise the name
    of the free newsserver that I use, because then it would become
    overloaded...

    You can find commercial newsservers that charge a small amount per
    year.

    Swifty, Aug 18, 2011

  3. pedz

    Tim Slattery Guest

    Go to www.eternal-september.org and register. Then get a newsreader:
    Thunderbird (www.mozilla.org/thunderbird), Agent
    (www.forteinc.com/agent), or many others. Aim your newsreader at
    news.eternal-september.org, and there you go.

    Tim Slattery, Aug 18, 2011
  4. And if you must use Outlook Express, which has been a nuisance for years
    because of its many nasty bugs (development is has been discontinued since
    Windows Vista in favor of Windows Mail), please follow the instructions at
    <http://insideoe.com/> where you can see that the newest security fix was
    released in 2006, more than 5 years ago (which might cause you to
    reconsider).

    Forté Agent has not had a stable release since November 2009, too.

    By contrast, Mozilla Thunderbird is actively developed, and security fixes
    are released according to the Mozilla schedule. Last I checked, Thunderbird
    was lacking in its built-in filtering and crosspost-regonizing capabilities,
    but there might be extensions to augment it with that by now.

    For (Debian) GNU/Linux, KNode, which is provided by a KDE package, suffices
    for me.

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Aug 19, 2011