Retrieving checked RadioButton controls which were added to a Table control

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Anthony Williams, Sep 8, 2003.

  1. Hi gang,

    I've created and populated a huge table, with 240 rows, with three cells per
    row. There are 240 RadioButton controls for "TimeFrom", and 240 RadioButton
    controls for "TimeTo".

    RadioButtons appearing in cell 1 have a GroupName of "TimeFrom" and those
    appearing in cell 2 have a GroupName of "TimeTo". The table appears
    correctly (the code at the bottom of this post will generate it for you if
    you create yourself a Table with ID "TSTable".

    My problem, for those of you falling asleep by now, is that I haven't the
    faintest idea of how to retrieve the "TimeFrom" and "TimeTo" selected
    values. I can put a kludge together that will use Request.Form(...) but I
    was rather hoping that there'd be a .NET way.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Tone

    ' ---------- Begin Create Table Code ----------
    Dim CurTime As New DateTime(Now.Year, Now.Month, Now.Day, 0, 0, 0)

    For i As Integer = 0 To 240 ' 24 hours in 240 six-minute (1/10 hr)
    increments

    Dim Row As New TableRow
    Dim CellFrom As New TableCell
    Dim CellTo As New TableCell
    Dim CellJob As New TableCell

    CellFrom.Width = Unit.Pixel(60)
    CellTo.Width = Unit.Pixel(60)

    ' Create a radio button control which will select the From time...
    Dim RadioFrom As New RadioButton
    RadioFrom.GroupName = "TimeFrom"
    RadioFrom.EnableViewState = True
    RadioFrom.Text = CurTime.AddMinutes(i * 6).ToShortTimeString

    ' ...then add it to the "From" cell we just created
    CellFrom.Controls.Add(RadioFrom)

    ' And the same for selecting the To time...
    Dim RadioTo As New RadioButton
    RadioTo.GroupName = "TimeTo"
    RadioTo.EnableViewState = True
    RadioTo.Text = CurTime.AddMinutes(i * 6).ToShortTimeString

    ' ...then add it to the "To" cell
    CellTo.Controls.Add(RadioTo)

    With Row.Cells
    .Add(CellFrom)
    .Add(CellTo)
    .Add(CellJob)
    End With

    RadioFrom.Dispose()
    RadioTo.Dispose()

    CellFrom.Dispose()
    CellTo.Dispose()
    CellJob.Dispose()

    Row.Dispose()

    Next
    ' ---------- End Create Table Code ----------

    Anthony Williams, Sep 8, 2003

  2. Hi Anthony,

    You can put the 240 ShortTimeStrings in a DataSet/DataTable and bind it to
    a RadioButtonList. Then we can get the selected radio text by "
    RadioButtonList1.SelectedItem.ToString ()". Here is a code snippet for
    demonstration, you may modify it to meet your requirements.

    protected DataSet GetSource()
    {
    . .
    if(Session["ds"]!=null)return (DataSet)Session["ds"];
    DataSet ds=new DataSet();
    DataTable newtable=new DataTable ();
    DataColumn cc1 = new DataColumn("From",Type.GetType("System.String"),"");
    DataColumn cc2 = new DataColumn("To", Type.GetType("System.String"),"");
    DataColumn cc3 = new DataColumn("Job", Type.GetType("System.String"),"");
    newtable.Columns.Add(cc1);
    newtable.Columns.Add(cc2);
    newtable.Columns.Add(cc3);
    for(int i=0; i<240;i++)
    {
    DataRow dr=newtable.NewRow ();
    dr["From"]=CurTime.AddMinutes(i * 6).ToShortTimeString();
    dr["To"]=CurTime.AddMinutes(i * 6).ToShortTimeString();
    dr["Job"]="";
    newtable.Rows .Add(dr);
    }
    ds.Tables .Add (newtable);
    Session["ds"]=ds;

    return ds;

    if(!this.IsPostBack)
    {
    DataSet ds=GetSource();
    RadioButtonList1.DataSource =ds;
    RadioButtonList1.DataTextField ="From";
    RadioButtonList1.DataBind ();
    . . .

    Response.Write ("From:" + RadioButtonList1.SelectedItem.ToString ());
    . . .
    }

    Does this answer your question? Please let me know if you need more
    information. Thanks.

    Best regards,
    Lewis

    --------------------
    | From: "Anthony Williams" <>
    | Subject: Retrieving checked RadioButton controls which were added to a
    Table control

    Lewis Wang [MSFT], Sep 9, 2003

  3. Lewis,

    Thanks for the reply - not only did you manage to answer one question, but
    you also tackled another which I was about to post to a different group -
    namely how do I manually populate a dataset - hehe. Thanks for the reply,
    but...

    Because I've already manually populated a table with radiobutton controls,
    I'm wondering whether or not it's possible to actually get the selected
    value by group name - the reason I ask this specifically, is because I've
    got a table with three columns - a radiobutton list won't allow me to keep
    my format in this way (will it?)

    Is there either a way to put the generated radiobutton list into a table
    that already exists, or - possibly - add each of the radiobutton controls
    not only to the table, but also to a radiobutton list?

    Cheers,
    Anthony

    Anthony Williams, Sep 9, 2003
  4. Hi Anthony,

    It's possible to actually get the selected value by group name. But we need
    to set the value attribution for every RadioButton. For example:

    RadioFrom.Attributes .Add("value",RadioFrom.Text);

    Then, we can get the selected value using Request.Form
    ["TimeFrom"].ToString () in code behind.

    Hope this helps.

    Best regards,
    Lewis

    --------------------
> [...]
    | > Session["ds"]=ds;
    | >
    | > return ds;
    | > }
    | >
    | > private void Page_Load(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
    | > {
    | > if(!this.IsPostBack)
    | > {
    | > DataSet ds=GetSource();
    | > RadioButtonList1.DataSource =ds;
    | > RadioButtonList1.DataTextField ="From";
    | > RadioButtonList1.DataBind ();
    | > . . .
    | > }
    | > }
    | >
    | > private void Button1_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
    | > {
    | > Response.Write ("From:" + RadioButtonList1.SelectedItem.ToString ());
    | > . . .
    | > }
    | >
    | > Does this answer your question? Please let me know if you need more

    | > |
    | > | I've created and populated a huge table, with 240 rows, with three
    cells
    | > per
    | > | row. There are 240 RadioButton controls for "TimeFrom", and 240
    | > RadioButton
    | > | controls for "TimeTo".
    | > |
    | > | RadioButtons appearing in cell 1 have a GroupName of "TimeFrom" and
    | those
    | > | appearing in cell 2 have a GroupName of "TimeTo". The table appears
    | > | correctly (the code at the bottom of this post will generate it for
    you
    | if
    | > | you create yourself a Table with ID "TSTable".
    | > |
    | > | My problem, for those of you falling asleep by now, is that I haven't
    | the
    | > | faintest idea of how to retrieve the "TimeFrom" and "TimeTo" selected
    | > | values. I can put a kludge together that will use Request.Form(...)
    but
    | > | was rather hoping that there'd be a .NET way.
    | > |
    | > | Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    | > |
    | > | Cheers,
    | > | Tone
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | ' ---------- Begin Create Table Code ----------
    | > | Dim CurTime As New DateTime(Now.Year, Now.Month, Now.Day, 0, 0, 0)
    | > |
    | > | For i As Integer = 0 To 240 ' 24 hours in 240 six-minute (1/10 hr)
    | > | increments
    | > |
    | > | Dim Row As New TableRow
    | > | Dim CellFrom As New TableCell
    | > | Dim CellTo As New TableCell
    | > | Dim CellJob As New TableCell
    | > |
    | > | CellFrom.Width = Unit.Pixel(60)
    | > | CellTo.Width = Unit.Pixel(60)
    | > |
    | > | ' Create a radio button control which will select the From time...
    | > | Dim RadioFrom As New RadioButton
    | > | RadioFrom.GroupName = "TimeFrom"
    | > | RadioFrom.EnableViewState = True
    | > | RadioFrom.Text = CurTime.AddMinutes(i * 6).ToShortTimeString
    | > |
    | > | ' ...then add it to the "From" cell we just created
    | > | CellFrom.Controls.Add(RadioFrom)
    | > |
    | > | ' And the same for selecting the To time...
    | > | Dim RadioTo As New RadioButton
    | > | RadioTo.GroupName = "TimeTo"
    | > | RadioTo.EnableViewState = True
    | > | RadioTo.Text = CurTime.AddMinutes(i * 6).ToShortTimeString
    | > |
    | > | ' ...then add it to the "To" cell
    | > | CellTo.Controls.Add(RadioTo)
    | > |
    | > | With Row.Cells
    | > | .Add(CellFrom)
    | > | .Add(CellTo)
    | > | .Add(CellJob)
    | > | End With
    | > |
    | > | RadioFrom.Dispose()
    | > | RadioTo.Dispose()
    | > |
    | > | CellFrom.Dispose()
    | > | CellTo.Dispose()
    | > | CellJob.Dispose()
    | > |
    | > | Row.Dispose()
    | > |
    | > | Next
    | > | ' ---------- End Create Table Code ----------
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |

    Lewis Wang [MSFT], Sep 9, 2003
  5. Hi Anthony,

    I need more information to resolve the questions mentioned in the last
    paragraph of your post.

    What do you mean about putting the generated radiobutton list into a table?
    Do you mean you want to put a radiobuttonlist control to a TableCell, or do
    you mean you want to put each radio control in the radiobuttonlist to each
    TableCell of a Table column?

    Thanks a lot.

    Lewis

    --------------------
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
    | From: (Lewis Wang [MSFT])
    | Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 15:08:10 GMT
    | Subject: Re: Retrieving checked RadioButton controls which were added to
    a Table control

    | Hi Anthony,
    |
    | It's possible to actually get the selected value by group name. But we
    need
    | to set the value attribution for every RadioButton. For example:
    |
    | RadioFrom.Attributes .Add("value",RadioFrom.Text);
    |
    | Then, we can get the selected value using Request.Form
    | ["TimeFrom"].ToString () in code behind.
    |
    | Hope this helps.
    |
    | Best regards,
    | Lewis
    rights.

    | --------------------
    | | From: "Anthony Williams" <>
    | | Subject: Re: Retrieving checked RadioButton controls which were added
    | a Table control
    | | Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 09:23:01 +0100
    | | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
    | |
    | | Lewis,
    | |
    | | Thanks for the reply - not only did you manage to answer one question,
    but
    | | you also tackled another which I was about to post to a different group
    -
    | | namely how do I manually populate a dataset - hehe. Thanks for the
    reply,
    | | but...
    | |
    | | Because I've already manually populated a table with radiobutton
    controls,
    | | I'm wondering whether or not it's possible to actually get the selected
    | | value by group name - the reason I ask this specifically, is because
    I've
    | | got a table with three columns - a radiobutton list won't allow me to
    keep
    | | my format in this way (will it?)
    | |
    | | Is there either a way to put the generated radiobutton list into a table
    | | that already exists, or - possibly - add each of the radiobutton
    controls
    | | not only to the table, but also to a radiobutton list?
    | |
    | | Cheers,
    | | Anthony
    | |
    | |

    | | > You can put the 240 ShortTimeStrings in a DataSet/DataTable and bind
    it
    | | > a RadioButtonList. Then we can get the selected radio text by "
    | | > RadioButtonList1.SelectedItem.ToString ()". Here is a code snippet for
    | | > demonstration, you may modify it to meet your requirements.
    | | >
    | | > protected DataSet GetSource()
    | | > {
    | | > . .
    | | > if(Session["ds"]!=null)return (DataSet)Session["ds"];
    | | > DataSet ds=new DataSet();
    | | > DataTable newtable=new DataTable ();
    | | > DataColumn cc1 = new
    | DataColumn("From",Type.GetType("System.String"),"");
    | | > DataColumn cc2 = new DataColumn("To",
    Type.GetType("System.String"),"");
    | | > DataColumn cc3 = new DataColumn("Job",
    | Type.GetType("System.String"),"");
    | | > newtable.Columns.Add(cc1);
    | | > newtable.Columns.Add(cc2);
    | | > newtable.Columns.Add(cc3);
    | | > for(int i=0; i<240;i++)
    | | > {
    | | > DataRow dr=newtable.NewRow ();
    | | > dr["From"]=CurTime.AddMinutes(i * 6).ToShortTimeString();
    | | > dr["To"]=CurTime.AddMinutes(i * 6).ToShortTimeString();
    | | > dr["Job"]="";
    | | > newtable.Rows .Add(dr);
    | | > }
    | | > ds.Tables .Add (newtable);
    | | > Session["ds"]=ds;
    | | >
    | | > return ds;
    | | > }
    | | >
    | | > private void Page_Load(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
    | | > {
    | | > if(!this.IsPostBack)
    | | > {
    | | > DataSet ds=GetSource();
    | | > RadioButtonList1.DataSource =ds;
    | | > RadioButtonList1.DataTextField ="From";
    | | > RadioButtonList1.DataBind ();
    | | > . . .
    | | > }
    | | > }
    | | >
    | | > private void Button1_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
    | | > {
    | | > Response.Write ("From:" + RadioButtonList1.SelectedItem.ToString ());
    | | > . . .
    | | > }
    | | >
    | | > Does this answer your question? Please let me know if you need more
    | | > information. Thanks.
    | | >
    | | > Best regards,
    | | > Lewis
    | | > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    | | rights.
    | | >
    | | > --------------------
    | | > Table control
    | | > |
    | cells
    | | > per
    | | > RadioButton
    | | > |
    | | those
    | you
    | | if
    | | > |
    | | the
    | but
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |

    | |
    | |
    | |

    Lewis Wang [MSFT], Sep 9, 2003
  6. Lewis,

    Sorry for the long answer, but basically, I thought it best to explain
    exactly what I'm doing here.

    I have created a user control which contains a calendar control and this
    free busy list which I'm creating. The date, as selected by the calendar
    control sets a DateTime variable on the page to the current date. The
    Free/Busy list then displays times from midnight on that day to midnight the
    following day - a 24-hour block of 6-minute intervals.

    Ideally, I'd like to generate a table with 4 cells, like so:

    [Time] [Fr] [To] [Free/Busy]
    00:00 () ()
    00:06 () ()
    00:12 () ()
    ...... () ()
    23:48 () ()
    23:54 () ()
    00:00 () ()

    Cell [Time] would contain the time, cells [Fr(om)] and [To] would contain a
    RadioButton control, the value of which would be the Date and Time passed,
    so that the end-user can select a "From" time and a "To" time. Cell
    [Free/Busy] just contains information which is returned by a stored
    procedure, which is the source for the information.

    So, my questions are:

    1.
    Since I have set all of the radiobutton controls to have the same GroupName
    (either "TimeFrom" or "TimeTo") is it possible to find out the control name
    of the radiobutton checked in each group - a function that you could pass
    the GroupName to which would return either the name of the checked
    radiobutton control (great) or the value of the checked radiobutton control
    (even better).

    Even if a function has to be written (I'm thinking something along the lines
    of CheckedRadioButton(ByVal GroupName As String) As RadioButton) it's got to
    be better than the current state of affairs :eek:) Any help you can offer in
    terms of writing such a function would be greatly appreciated - I presume it
    would have something to do with looping through each of the controls in the
    User Control or the page with the GroupName as given, and then checking to
    see if ThatRadioButton.Checked is True...

    (PS - something like that should be added to the next point release, or
    definately ASP.NET v2.0)

    2.
    Failing that, is there a way of creating a radiobutton list, and then taking
    the rows that are generated by said radiobutton list, and adding them to a
    table that already exists - either a System.Web.UI.WebControls.Table or a
    System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlTable - and still be able to query the
    RadioButtonList.SelectedValue value?

    3.
    Failing both of the above, what would you suggest? :eek:)

    Cheers Lewis,
    Anth

    Anthony Williams, Sep 10, 2003
  7. Hi Anthony,

    Does the solution in my prior post meet your requirements?

    It's possible to actually get the selected value by group name. But we need
    to set the value attribution for every RadioButton. For example:

    RadioFrom.Attributes .Add("value",RadioFrom.Text); Then, we add these radio
    buttons to the table using the method in your first post.

    Then, we can get the selected radio value using Request.Form["groupname
    "].ToString () in code behind.

    If we want to loop through each of the radio control in the User Control or
    the page to check which radio button was checked using client side script,
    we can do that like this:

    1. Set the id for each radio control, something like: radio1,
    radio2,¡­¡­
    2. Set the same "groupname" for each radio control.
    3. The client side script may like this:
    <script language="javascript">
    function checkradios(){
    for(i=1;i<n;i++)
    if(document.all("radio"+i).checked)
    alert(document.all("radio"+i).value);
    }
    </script>

> [...]

    | the rows that are generated by said radiobutton list, and adding them to a
    | table that already exists - either a System.Web.UI.WebControls.Table or a
    | System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlTable - and still be able to query the
    | RadioButtonList.SelectedValue value?
    |
    | 3.
    | Failing both of the above, what would you suggest? :eek:)
    |

    | Cheers Lewis,
    | Anth
    |

    | | > Hi Anthony,
    | >
    | > I need more information to resolve the questions mentioned in the last
    | > paragraph of your post.
    | >
    | > What do you mean about putting the generated radiobutton list into a
    | table?
    | > Do you mean you want to put a radiobuttonlist control to a TableCell, or
    | do
    | > you mean you want to put each radio control in the radiobuttonlist to

    | > |
    | > | Hi Anthony,
    | > |
    | > | It's possible to actually get the selected value by group name. But we
    | > need
    | > | to set the value attribution for every RadioButton. For example:
    | > |
    | > | RadioFrom.Attributes .Add("value",RadioFrom.Text);
    | > |
    | > | Then, we can get the selected value using Request.Form
    | > | ["TimeFrom"].ToString () in code behind.
    | > |
    | > | Hope this helps.
    | > |
    | > | Best regards,
    | > | Lewis
    | > | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    | > rights.
    | > |
    | > | --------------------
    | > | a Table control
    | > | |
    | > but
    | group
    | > -
    | > reply,
    | > | |
    | > controls,
    | selected
    | > I've
    | > keep
    | > | |
    | table
    | > controls
    | > | |
    | > | |
    | > | |

    | > it
    | for

    | > | DataColumn("From",Type.GetType("System.String"),"");
    | > Type.GetType("System.String"),"");
    | > | Type.GetType("System.String"),"");

    | ());

    | > to a
    | > | | > |
    | > | | > |
    | > | cells
    | > | | > |
    | and
    | appears
    | for
    | > | you
    | > | | > |
    | > haven't
    | > selected
    | Request.Form(...)
    | > | but
    | > | | > |
    | > | | > |
    | > | | > |
    | > | | > |
    0)
    | > | | > |
    | > | | > |
    | > | | > |
    | > | | > |
    | > time...
    | > | | > |
    | > | | > |
    | > | | > |
    | > | | > |
    | > | | > |
    | > | | > |
    | > | | > |
    | > | | > |
    | > | | > |

    | > | |
    | > | |
    | > | |
    | > |

    Lewis Wang [MSFT], Sep 11, 2003
  8. Lewis,

    In answer to your first question, yes and no. It does meet the requirements
    in some ways (in that I can get the values specified) but it doesn't allow
    me to get the name of the control that was selected using code behind
    techniques - as I mentioned in my previous post, I'd like to be able to
    build a function which would return a reference to the RadioButton control
    which has a specified GroupName and is checked.

    Is there a way of iterating through each of the controls (of a given type)
    in the user control, page or whatever container?

    Cheers,
    Anthony

    Anthony Williams, Sep 11, 2003
  9. Hi Anthony ,

    This is actually a known issue that radio buttons in the ItemTemplate are
    not mutually exclusive:

    BUG: Radio Buttons Are Not Mutually Exclusive When Used in a Repeater
    Server Control
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;Q316495

    We can workaround this by using either client side script or handling the
    CheckedChanged event on the server side. Here is the way to handle the
    CheckedChanged event. Please note that this method requires more postback
    than client side script does:

    1. We can use a Datagrid's to display the rows as Lewis suggested.

    2. Create a ItemTemplate column and add a RadioButton to the column. Bind
    the RadioButton appropriately.

    3. Open the ASPX view of the page, add "OnCheckedChanged" attribute to the
    <asp:RadioButton> element, and make it point to a public handler method
    defined in the code behind file. Here is a code snippet for example:

    In ASPX file
    ==========
    <asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="RadioCol">
    <ItemTemplate>
    <asp:RadioButton id="RadioButton4" AutoPostBack="True"
    OnCheckedChanged="RadioButton4_CheckedChanged" runat="server"
    GroupName="DtFrom"></asp:RadioButton>
    </ItemTemplate>
    </asp:TemplateColumn>

    In the code behind file
    ===================
    public void RadioButton4_CheckedChanged(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
    {
    RadioButton rb=(RadioButton)sender;
    Response.Write(rb.ClientID.ToString()); //This line is just for test
    purpose.
    for (int i =0 ; i <DataGrid1.Items.Count; i++)
    {
    ((RadioButton)DataGrid1.Items.Controls[0].Controls[1]).Checked= false;
    }
    // check the selected radio button
    rb.Checked= true;
    }

    To get the selected RadioButton when you submit the page, I think you can
    try the FindCotrol method.

    Regards,

    Felix Wu
    =======

    --------------------
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <>

    Felix Wu [MSFT], Sep 15, 2003
  10. Hi Anthony ,

    You could also handle the submit button's server-side click event and
    iterate the rows of the table to find out the selected radio button.

    Regards,

    Felix Wu
    =======

    --------------------
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <#H0Of$>

    Felix Wu [MSFT], Sep 16, 2003
  11. Felix,

    I was just evaluating all the ways that you guys have suggested, and that
    seems to be the best. I was trying to find out the control name by getting
    Request.Form(...) but that didn't seem to work, so I'll be using the method
    you just suggested.

    Many thanks to both yourself and Lewis!

    Cheers,
    Anth