Roguelike programmers needed

rpgnethack

Hi everyone,

A few of us over at RPGnet (http://www.rpg.net) have been talking about
writing an open-source roguelike in Python. Right now, I'm looking for
a few people join the dev team. All I'm asking is that you post one
piece of code for the game per week. If we get enough people, the
collaborative effort should give us a functional game pretty quickly
(at least compared to the recent pace of the project).

I'm pretty sure we'll be using PyGames for the graphics, although a
traditional ASCII roguelike interface would be nice to have too.

I myself am just a programming dabbler, and I'm actually learning
Python just for the sake of this project. Needless to say, programmers
of all skill levels are welcome.

If you're interested, sign up at RPGnet and let us know.

The thread looking for Dev Team members is here:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=218209

The main RPGnethack thread is stickied at the top of the Art of Game
Design forum here:

http://forum.rpg.net/forumdisplay.php?f=11

We've also got a wiki at:

http://rpgnethack.wikispaces.org

Program files will be hosted at Sourceforge.

Thanks!

Stonebrook

Paul Rubin

I'm pretty sure we'll be using PyGames for the graphics, although a
traditional ASCII roguelike interface would be nice to have too.

??!!! How can you call it roguelike if it's not ascii ???

rpgnethack

LOL...

I know, I know...."true" roguelikes only use ASCII. But a number of
people seem to want to add graphics eventually, probably via tiles, and
I don't see the harm in it.

Thomas Jollans

what exactly is RPG/roguelike etc ? (what debian package provides an
example?)

Robert Kern

Thomas said:
what exactly is RPG/roguelike etc ? (what debian package provides an
example?)

Google is your friend.

--
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)

-- Richard Harter

rpgnethack

Robert said:
Google is your friend.

True, that.... :)

But what the heck. The average roguelike is a hack 'n' slash computer
game based on tabletop roleplaying games, most often Dungeons and
Dragons. The graphics in most roguelikes have stayed the same since the
70's (i.e. ASCII text) when the grand-daddy of all roguelikes, Rogue,
was born. Most roguelikes are completely open-source.

The most popular roguelikes are Angband (
http://thangorodrim.angband.org ) and Nethack ( http://www.nethack.org
). There are literally dozens of others--some variants, some
original--but listing them here would take too much time.

Don't be fooled by their apparent simplicity! What most roguelikes lack
in graphics they make up for in game play. These suckers are addictive.
You have been warned!

Michael Sparks

Robert said:
Google is your friend.

Often a fair answer, but I'd suggest that the question was fair, especially
given the OP was seeking help :)

After all, I read the subject line and simply assumed they were after
programmers with roguish qualities. Perhaps to work in the newly formed IT
division of the Crimson Permanent Assurance Company. After all, don't
forget - #It's Fun to Charter, and Accountant...#

;-)

Michael.

Mike Meyer

Don't be fooled by their apparent simplicity! What most roguelikes lack
in graphics they make up for in game play. These suckers are addictive.
You have been warned!

And *portable*. I was delighted to discover a port of the original
rogue to the Palm. Then shocked to realize that my (old, obsolete)
Palm had four times as much RAM as the 11/70 I originally ran Rogue
on. And probably an equal overabundance of mips.

Which leads to the inevitable question: how many 370 acres can I fit
in my pocket?

<mike

Dennis Lee Bieber

Which leads to the inevitable question: how many 370 acres can I fit
in my pocket?
Don't ask...

My college mainframe -- which supported about 50 terminal users at a
time -- had been expanded to twice the factory memory. It had 2MB of TTL
memory, arranged in an interleaved four-bank, four-port configuration
(oh, access was via 32-bit word, not bytes). The interleaving allowed IO
processors to follow/lead the CPU through memory without conflicting [IO
processor could be reading address 0 on port 1 bank 1; CPU access
address 1 on port 0 bank 2; other IO processor could write to address 2
on port 2 bank 3...)

It was a big celebration when the campus obtained a pair of 300MB
(10 or 11 platter) disk drives -- which were dedicated to OS and page
files, while the other six 100MB drives were shared among users.
Students of introductory programming (eg, BASIC), were allocated 30
granules of disk space -- or 15KB! <G>

I suspect my Amiga came close in raw power. I don't want to think
about my current desktop (3.4GHZ, 2GB RAM, over 400GB of available
storage)

Oh... the mainframe? Xerox Sigma 6.

beza1e1

I was hacking on something similar. It could be called a collaborative
story-telling adventure game or something. My idea was to parse natural
language text not "commands". The game manages locations and objects.
This is for story-telling roleplay. No stats, levels or monsters (at
least no self acting ones).

The prototype is nearly ready (Object and location creation lacking).
But i am not sure, how far this can go. Natural language processing is
quite interesting. Check out what the MIT did recently:
http://www.trnmag.com/Stories/2005/032305/Tool_turns_English_to_code_032305.html