roleManager providers

MikeS

What is the point of being able to add more than one roleManager
provider? If you added more than one then how would you make good use
of more than one of them as the app runs?

MikeS

I assume the use of multiple role providers is so one can change the
provider as a user navigates to a different location in the site.

However if I something like this:

<location path="Premium">
<system.web>
<roleManager defaultProvider="Premium" />

It produces this build error:

Error 102 It is an error to use a section registered as
allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This
error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an
application in IIS.

Even though the Premium directory is configured as an IIS application.
So is this feature broken or am I using it incorrectly?