RPC with Python - Comparison?

Wolfgang Keller

Hello,

has anyone done a comparison of the different RPC protocols &
implementations available for Python that is more extensive and exhaustive
than the one on
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-pyth9/?

Topics would be:

- Runtime efficiency
- Development efficiency
- Design concepts & features (security...)

Candidates could be:

- Pyro
- Twisted.spread
- OSE (XML-RPC)
- ICE
- ...others?

TIA,

Best regards

Wolfgang Keller

johng2001

Candidates could be:
- Pyro
- Twisted.spread
- OSE (XML-RPC)
- ICE
- ...others?

Anyone has any insights on REST Vs SOAP/XML-RPC? I have seen these
debates else where on the web. Just want to know what the view point
here is.

Jeremy Bowers

Anyone has any insights on REST Vs SOAP/XML-RPC? I have seen these debates
else where on the web. Just want to know what the view point here is.

I've seen people argue this point a bajillion times, and honestly, I think
the best insight is that there *is* no insight. Each of those three things
(XML-RPC is not the same as SOAP, it is *way* simpler with the associated
costs and benefits) are exactly what they look like, three entries on a
pretty typical cost/benefit scale, with the primary tradeoffs being
between ease of use and cross-platform/language. There's a time and a
place for each, they don't really overlap much, and people trying to fit
the world into the One True RPC, in my experience, generally only have
experience in one of the RPC domains and mistake their experience for
global truth.

Wolfgang Keller

Am 6 Dec 2004 16:00:35 -0800 schrieb has:
Pity, you're missing some good stuff... :/

_I_ _am_ using a Mac at home.

But not _everyone_ _else_ and especially not _every_ _company_ is using
_exclusively_ Macs.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Keller

has

Wolfgang said:
Am 6 Dec 2004 16:00:35 -0800 schrieb has:

_I_ _am_ using a Mac at home.

But not _everyone_ _else_ and especially not _every_ _company_ is using
_exclusively_ Macs.

Of course. Would it be tactless to mention you're also missing out on
DCOM and WSH? ;)

has <ducks>

(p.s. Seriously, why not just cover everything? Platform(s) support is
just another feature.)