From: (e-mail address removed) [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Sunday, October 11, 2009 7:25 PM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: ruby beginner

hi guys reading here seems like everyone is a whole lot smarter at this
than i am..which is good "right"! I really am a beginner at this
stuff...i downloaded ruby...good news..but how does it work..what kind
of programs can i make..that is if i get beyond "Scite" and command
lines i cant find anywhere...really need step by step instructions i
have scoured the internet but to no avail..idiot here remember! any one
with good ideas where i can start...john

Michael Brooks

John Embree said:
hi guys reading here seems like everyone is a whole lot smarter at this
than i am..which is good "right"! I really am a beginner at this
stuff...i downloaded ruby...good news..but how does it work..what kind
of programs can i make..that is if i get beyond "Scite" and command
lines i cant find anywhere...really need step by step instructions i
have scoured the internet but to no avail..idiot here remember! any one
with good ideas where i can start...john

Hello John:

You might want to try these:

http://www-users.math.umd.edu/~dcarrera/ruby/0.3/
http://www.troubleshooters.com/codecorn/ruby/basictutorial.htm
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/documentation/quickstart/
http://www.rubycentral.com/book/

Michael

7

7stud --

John said:
hi guys reading here seems like everyone is a whole lot smarter at this
than i am..which is good "right"! I really am a beginner at this
stuff...i downloaded ruby...good news..but how does it work..

You have to write programs to do things. Then you execute the programs
using ruby, and voila! you get the results you wanted.
what kind
of programs can i make..

Anything and everything. How big is your imagination?
that is if i get beyond "Scite" and command
lines i cant find anywhere...

The first thing you need to do when posting a question is tell everyone
what OS you are using, for example: Windows XP or Mac OSX 10.4.11m or
Linux or...

really need step by step instructions

About what specifically? Running your first program?
have scoured the internet but to no avail..idiot here remember! any one
with good ideas where i can start...john

I also recommend "Beginning Ruby: From Novice to Professional". Make
sure you get the latest edition, which I think is the 2nd.