Ruby internals

Thomas Sondergaard

I'd like to get to better understand how the ruby interpreter works. I have
grabbed the CVS and started rumaging around, but I got to think that someone
must have been here before and may have written a 4-10 page document
covering the architecture, tricks and what not used in the ruby interpreter.

Anyone knows of such a document? Any other pointers to make it easier to
grok the ruby source are also welcome!

Cheers,

Tom

Simon Strandgaard

I'd like to get to better understand how the ruby interpreter works. I have
grabbed the CVS and started rumaging around, but I got to think that someone
must have been here before and may have written a 4-10 page document
covering the architecture, tricks and what not used in the ruby interpreter.

Anyone knows of such a document? Any other pointers to make it easier to
grok the ruby source are also welcome!

The README.EXT distributed with Ruby, gives a short overview
of Rubys code, which files is the core, which is modules.. etc.

I don't know about other documents. If there exist other documents then I
am also interested in reading them :)

Mauricio Fernández

I'd like to get to better understand how the ruby interpreter works. I have
grabbed the CVS and started rumaging around, but I got to think that someone
must have been here before and may have written a 4-10 page document
covering the architecture, tricks and what not used in the ruby interpreter.

Anyone knows of such a document? Any other pointers to make it easier to
grok the ruby source are also welcome!

This is the only info I know of on this:

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/74002

not a lot but I hope it's helpful.

--
_ _
| |__ __ _| |_ ___ _ __ ___ __ _ _ __
Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com

AUTHOR
FvwmAuto just appeared one day, nobody knows how.
-- FvwmAuto(1x)

daz

Thomas Sondergaard said:
... someone must have been here before and may have written a
4-10 page document covering the architecture, ...

Anyone knows of such a document? Any other pointers to make it easier
to grok the ruby source are also welcome!

Cheers,

Tom

I can't remember who said: "A picture is worth a 4-10 page document",
but here's a sketch I drew to help get an overview of the interaction
between eval and the parser.

Unofficial, you understand (and probably flawed).

http://www.d10.karoo.net/ruby/ruby_interpreter.html (.PNG - 27k)

(Comments expected, but action not guaranteed ;)

daz