ruby on rails ... python on ?

flab ba

The pragmatic programmers (Dave & Andy) are spreading a good word about
RubyOnRails. I was wondering if there are any Python programmers who are
/also/ familiar with Rails - and if they could recommend something in the
Python world that is comparable.

-Flab

Peter Hansen

flab said:
The pragmatic programmers (Dave & Andy) are spreading a good word about
RubyOnRails. I was wondering if there are any Python programmers who are
/also/ familiar with Rails - and if they could recommend something in the
Python world that is comparable.

I googled for that to learn about it. Saw a note in the home page
of rubyonrails.org from Oct 11 about them having a new bug tracker
working!

"Cool," sez I, a fan of issue trackers in general, "Let's see
what these Ruby guys have come up with for a bug tracker."

It's Trac.

Which is implemented in Python. ;-)

I guess that justifies the term "pragmatic" above, anyway.

(I haven't yet learned much about Rails, unfortunately, since
the web site is excrutiatingly slow right now. Maybe it will
be faster another time...)

To the OP: there are several Python "application frameworks"
which on the surface appear to be similar in goal to Rails.
I don't know much about them, and at the moment even their
names aren't coming to me, so I can't help more than that.
I think a search for "enterprise application framework Python"
would probably turn up at least one of them.

-Peter

Josiah Carlson

Peter Hansen said:
I googled for that to learn about it. Saw a note in the home page
of rubyonrails.org from Oct 11 about them having a new bug tracker
working!

"Cool," sez I, a fan of issue trackers in general, "Let's see
what these Ruby guys have come up with for a bug tracker."

It's Trac.

You'll notice a project linked from the RubyOnRails site: Basecamp
(www.basecamphq.com), which looks quite spiffy.

- Josiah

Ron Stephens

""I think a search for "enterprise application framework Python"
would probably turn up at least one of them.""

Hmm, indeed, that search practically screamed Peak, the Python
Enterprise Application Kit, which looks fascinating at
http://peak.telecommunity.com/ . Does anyone have any experience with
PEAK or knowledge about it?

Ron Stephens

Peter Hansen

Josiah said:
You'll notice a project linked from the RubyOnRails site: Basecamp
(www.basecamphq.com), which looks quite spiffy.

Spiffy indeed!

(I'm sure there's an obvious answer, but I'm curious why
they didn't use Basecamp instead of Trac for their bug tracker...)

Josiah Carlson

Peter Hansen said:
Spiffy indeed!

(I'm sure there's an obvious answer, but I'm curious why
they didn't use Basecamp instead of Trac for their bug tracker...)

This is what I can tell (in the 5 minutes reading their web sites):

1. Trac was implemented when they started RubyOnRails, so they used it
because it fit with what they were doing.
2. RubyOnRails was developed.
3. Someone implemented Basecamp using RubyOnRails as a framework.

You can't really build an application before you build a framework, and
switching project management is, from what I hear, quite a bitch.

- Josiah

Josiah Carlson

flab ba said:
You're right - that web site does look quite spiffy. I was deciding on
Quixote for my web app framework, but even the author claims that it isn't
the right framework if you think a website is a graphics design problem.

I'm not a graphics designer, but I need more spiffyness than the MEMS web
site - which is done in Quixote.

I have no experience with any web development frameworks, so have little
to say in regards to them. I hope that Quixote, or whichever framework
you choose, ends up being the right choice for you.

- Josiah

flab ba

You'll notice a project linked from the RubyOnRails site: Basecamp
(www.basecamphq.com), which looks quite spiffy.

- Josiah

You're right - that web site does look quite spiffy. I was deciding on
Quixote for my web app framework, but even the author claims that it isn't
the right framework if you think a website is a graphics design problem.

I'm not a graphics designer, but I need more spiffyness than the MEMS web
site - which is done in Quixote.

-Alex

flab ba

""I think a search for "enterprise application framework Python"
would probably turn up at least one of them.""

Hmm, indeed, that search practically screamed Peak, the Python
Enterprise Application Kit, which looks fascinating at
http://peak.telecommunity.com/ . Does anyone have any experience with
PEAK or knowledge about it?

Ron Stephens

Umm, Peak and Rails don't even look remotely similar in what they try to
accomplish.

-Flab

Peter Hansen

Josiah said:
This is what I can tell (in the 5 minutes reading their web sites):

1. Trac was implemented when they started RubyOnRails, so they used it
because it fit with what they were doing.
2. RubyOnRails was developed.
3. Someone implemented Basecamp using RubyOnRails as a framework.

You can't really build an application before you build a framework, and
switching project management is, from what I hear, quite a bitch.

You're turning this into a mystery then. :) The announcement
that they "have finally taken the step to get a real bug tracker"
came on October 11, 2004. All the issues in it were added recently.

If they developed RubyOnRails since then, these guys are the
fastest damn programmers on the planet. I gotta get me some
of that Ruby! ;-)

-Peter

A.M. Kuchling

I'm not a graphics designer, but I need more spiffyness than the MEMS web
site - which is done in Quixote.

The line about graphic design is there because PTL will be alien to graphic
designers, so if your HTML is very elaborate and requires lots of tweaking,
your standard HTML author will be confused. However, in lots of cases you
can just write plain vanilla HTML, being sure to put DIV elements and ID
attributes in the right places, and then style the pages with CSS. Quixote
is betting that pure HTML + CSS is the way of the future.

(I don't like the current MX style sheet either, but that's nothing to
do with Quixote.)

--amk

Richard Blackwood

To the OP: there are several Python "application frameworks"
which on the surface appear to be similar in goal to Rails.
I don't know much about them, and at the moment even their
names aren't coming to me, so I can't help more than that.
I think a search for "enterprise application framework Python"
would probably turn up at least one of them.

-Peter

Do you mean Zope?

Richard Blackwood

Josiah said:
I have no experience with any web development frameworks, so have little
to say in regards to them. I hope that Quixote, or whichever framework
you choose, ends up being the right choice for you.

- Josiah
ZOPE!!!

Alex Martelli

A.M. Kuchling said:
can just write plain vanilla HTML, being sure to put DIV elements and ID
attributes in the right places, and then style the pages with CSS. Quixote
is betting that pure HTML + CSS is the way of the future.

Sounds like a pretty safe bet to me, in general terms. I'm not quite
sure how fully a 'plain vanilla HTML' page can be controlled,
looks-wise, with CSS only, but no doubt as generations of CSS succeed
each other the trend is up (though I don't think it's asymptotically
going to 100%, but that's a different issue;-).

Alex

Steve Holden

Alex said:
Sounds like a pretty safe bet to me, in general terms. I'm not quite
sure how fully a 'plain vanilla HTML' page can be controlled,
looks-wise, with CSS only, but no doubt as generations of CSS succeed
each other the trend is up (though I don't think it's asymptotically
going to 100%, but that's a different issue;-).

Alex

If you take a look at the Zen garden (http://csszengarden.com/) you will
realize that Quixote's bet is probably a good one. I was pleasantly
surprised how the recent re-work of www.holdenweb.com made the
programming for the site (it's static HTML produced from a database)
much less dependent on look-and-feel issues thanks to input from a good
designer.

regards
Steve

Istvan Albert

flab said:
/also/ familiar with Rails - and if they could recommend something in the
Python world that is comparable.

yeah, zope.

It is so good it does not even look like python on the
surface ... one of the biggest mistakes in developing
web-frameworks is over-emphasizing the underlying
programming language.

A good web-framework should not look like
Ruby or Python, that is not what these languages were
designed for.

Of course the framework should allow easy access to
any class or module written in these languages, but
in the end the most important things are the services
that promote collaboration, allow a finely grained access
control by various means, create a self contained solutions
that can be easily deployed replicated or backed up.
Web frameworks must do the hardest thing of all,
support radically changing requirements.

These overly "programmatic" frameworks revolve around a single
person's ability to understand all aspects of the website,
and crash and burn when that person is not around anymore.

Istvan.

Ian Bicking

flab said:
The pragmatic programmers (Dave & Andy) are spreading a good word about
RubyOnRails. I was wondering if there are any Python programmers who are
/also/ familiar with Rails - and if they could recommend something in the
Python world that is comparable.

I've looked a little at Rails. It's not super special. Well, it *is*
compared to things like Java; dynamic languages *are* quite superior for
rapid development of websites, and Ruby and Python are similar languages
in that way.

Rails is really a whole stack that works well together. People have
been writing this sort of thing in Python for a long time; which isn't
to say they always have gotten it right, or that those efforts have had
the right perspective to be strategic successes (i.e., become popular).

Lessee... Rails seems to have:

* A simple object publisher. There's a ton of these in Python. It also
perhaps includes some sort of MVC system, where the object picks up a
template automatically if it exists. These exist as well, though I
think MVC efforts can become overly ambitious or overly restrictive
fairly easily.

* An object-relational mapper. I'd say this is close to SQLObject,
though SQLObject is in some ways more powerful.

* A templating system. Looks like ASP. There's lots of templating
languages in Python; the simplest (e.g., embed Python code) can be
problematic because of Python's significant whitespace. But anyway, we
have lots and lots of these, and there are real reasons for why there's
multiple templating languages. Spyce is probably the closest to Rails.

All three of these pieces fit together really well in Rails, which is
perhaps what it offers that Python doesn't have. Well, I'm sure some
framework out there has this, but it's hard to say, there's so damn many.

But, while this is really compelling when you show off the creation of a
simple system, I suspect it becomes a fair amount more complicated later
on. At least, that is my experience with Python projects of similar
ambition. It's neat to setup a database and have it work instantly,
complete with the standard CRUD forms. But this only works for "leaf"
tables, and even then no so well. How do you deal with joins? How do
you deal with complex requirements on input, or actions on updates?
Eventually you'll need to tweak a generated form just a *little*, does
that mean you have to throw away all the automated aspects and code it
by hand?

I don't mean to criticize Rails with these questions; it's not that
Python frameworks solve these wonderfully either, these are just hard
problems. But for realistic web applications these are inevitable
issues, and I suspect Rails isn't quite as compelling when you take them
into account.

OTOH, I'd love to see something in Python that is just as tight as
Rails, but uses all the pieces we've already developed. It's really
just a question of sticking pieces together; but that's a surprisingly
difficult operation.

John

yeah, zope.
It is so good it does not even look like python on the
surface ... one of the biggest mistakes in developing
web-frameworks is over-emphasizing the underlying
programming language.

A good web-framework should not look like
Ruby or Python, that is not what these languages were
designed for.

Why do you say that? I could agree if Zope could be programmed in many
languages. Then not tending to any language would be a benefit. On the
contrary, I see things like ZODB making things that are not Pythonic,
look Pythonic and that is considered a good feature.

A Python only framework not feeling like Python was a deterrent for me
to learn Zope well.

Martin Maney

Ian Bicking said:
OTOH, I'd love to see something in Python that is just as tight as
Rails, but uses all the pieces we've already developed. It's really
just a question of sticking pieces together; but that's a surprisingly
difficult operation.

I don't know why that would be surprising. Integration has *always*
been one of the hardest parts of putting a large system together, so
when the parts weren't designed to fit each other in the forst place...