Ruby trunk

Jonas Schneider

Hey guys,

I have a question: why is the official ruby repo still on SVN and not
on Git?
I think git provides much better collaborative options. What about
just putting on GitHub so everyone can fork from there etc., and git
has proven better in about everything ruby-related, so why not Ruby
itself?

Greets

Joshua Ballanco

Hey guys,

I have a question: why is the official ruby repo still on SVN and not
on Git?
I think git provides much better collaborative options. What about
just putting on GitHub so everyone can fork from there etc., and git
has proven better in about everything ruby-related, so why not Ruby
itself?

There was a very long discussion about this over on the ruby-core
mailing list not too long ago (http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/25290
). Essentially, the decision not to move was made because:

-- core team is busy fixing issues and doesn't need the cognitive load
of learning a new VCS

-- certain Subversion specific tools used by the core team would need
to be rewritten

-- enough of the core team is still on Windows and git support on
Windows is still shaky enough that these members don't feel
comfortable with the move

-- While Git has advantages over Subversion (distributed, easy
branching), they aren't great enough to overcome the above hurdles.

-- The git-svn bridge has progressed significantly enough to make it
mostly irrelevant whether the "true" central repository is Git or
Subversion.

-- The git mirror at http://github.com/shyouhei/ruby is sufficient
(try it, you'll like it!)

-- As described at http://wiki.github.com/shyouhei/ruby/noncommitterhowto
, it really doesn't matter anyway if you're not a committer, because
you'd have to get any patches approved and submitted by a committer
regardless. Whether that's a git-pull request or a git-format-patch e-
mail shouldn't really matter.

Finally, as much as I like the easy forking that git and GitHub allow,
perhaps try looking at the numerous Ruby forks that already exist
(some of which *do* use git as their central repository) and maybe
contribute to one of them instead of making your own fork:

Rubinius: http://github.com/evanphx/rubinius
JRuby: http://github.com/jruby/jruby
MacRuby: http://www.macruby.org/source.html
IronRuby: http://www.ironruby.net/