Ruby USB Drive

Giovanni Intini

For Christmas I got a wonderful present: a 1GB USB drive. Now I feel
the need to fill it with Ruby goodness, but I don't know exactely what
to put on it.

Basically I need a portable development enviroment that can be used
with OSX, Linux and Windows. Windows could be bypassed by putting a
bootable minimal live linux distribution on the drive, but then I
could find myself on a box that can't boot from a usb drive (I have
two of them at home :)).

I was thinking about:

Reference Documentation: Pickaxe2 PDF (that you too should buy!),
rails doumentation, who knows what else

An editor for each platform: TextMate (Mac), and don't know what to
use on win/linux

Ruby in its various forms

Everything else. Obviously I don't know or I wouldn't have asked :)

I think that 1GB should be more than enough for every ruby developer
so suggest everything you have in mind :)

Zach Dennis

Giovanni said:
For Christmas I got a wonderful present: a 1GB USB drive. Now I feel
the need to fill it with Ruby goodness, but I don't know exactely what
to put on it.

Basically I need a portable development enviroment that can be used
with OSX, Linux and Windows. Windows could be bypassed by putting a
bootable minimal live linux distribution on the drive, but then I
could find myself on a box that can't boot from a usb drive (I have
two of them at home :)).

I was thinking about:

Reference Documentation: Pickaxe2 PDF (that you too should buy!),
rails doumentation, who knows what else

You should generate rdoc from the source of ruby. In case you don't have
an internet connection this is always a nice to have handy. That should
give you all core and stdlib apis.
An editor for each platform: TextMate (Mac), and don't know what to
use on win/linux

On Windows you could use:
- Eclipse w/RDT
- SciTe
- FreeRide
- ArachnoRuby
- Mondrian IDE
- Crimson Editor

On Linux you could use:
- Eclipse w/RDT
- KDevelop
- x?emacs
- vim?

On Mac you could use:
- Eclipse w/RDT
- BBEdit
- TextMate

I'm a big Eclipse fan myself...
Ruby in its various forms

Everything else. Obviously I don't know or I wouldn't have asked :)

I think that 1GB should be more than enough for every ruby developer
so suggest everything you have in mind :)

I would also throw on there a version of Pacman as well. You can't just
work all the time!!! Pacman is a good, fun game to play every now and then.

If you are a hard core web guy, you may want to throw on there Apache as
well, that way you can have access to a web server, and modruby to.

Then if you are really needing to fill up space, download the last 2
years of messages from this list, so you can search the archives locally. =)

Zach

Martin DeMello

Giovanni Intini said:
Basically I need a portable development enviroment that can be used
with OSX, Linux and Windows. Windows could be bypassed by putting a
bootable minimal live linux distribution on the drive, but then I
could find myself on a box that can't boot from a usb drive (I have
two of them at home :)).

Besides which, according to a slashdot poster this is not recommended,
since your drive will take a beating (assuming you have the swap file on
there too).

martin

Giovanni Intini

I would also throw on there a version of Pacman as well. You can't just
work all the time!!! Pacman is a good, fun game to play every now and then.

I prefer Circus Charlie, but mame is going there with some roms :)
Then if you are really needing to fill up space, download the last 2
years of messages from this list, so you can search the archives locally. =)

I didn't think about that, but that's a good idea :)

BTW what ruby should I put in there? The sources? One click
installers? Compile and install over the usb drive?

Giovanni Intini

Actually, you can use FreeRIDE on all three platforms.

On max it's textmate, but I'll give FreeRIDE a try :)

Ben Giddings

Besides which, according to a slashdot poster this is not recommended,
since your drive will take a beating (assuming you have the swap file
on
there too).

With all due respect to "a slashdot poster", if you're running off a
USB drive, you probably shouldn't have a swap partition, in fact,
you're probably better off mounting a lot of things as ramfs, esp /tmp,
/var/tmp possibly even all of /var.

Ben