    and really need this functionality.

    Thanks ever so much

    -Ezra

    Ezra Zygmuntowicz, Jan 25, 2006

  2. I "spiked" on this a while back. You have several options, especially
    once you fire up Xcode.

    Rubyscript2exe worked well the first time I tried it. I even threw
    Rails + FXRuby at it. I followed the documentation and I had Windows
    and OS X executables, as advertised. It even handled project-relative
    file paths just fine.

    Now, if I recall correctly, rubyscript2exe expands its contents into
    a temp directory. That took a noticeable amount of time with my app.
    I think it may need to repeat the expansion every time you launch the
    app, but I could be wrong.

    More recently, I tried rubyscript2exe again on the same app: more
    code, but nothing else different. I kept running into "too many open
    files." As far as I can tell, there is no fix or workaround on OS X.
    The culprit is some rubyscript2exe file manipulation code. It does
    look possible to debug and perhaps fix this code.

    "Programming Ruby" (the pickaxe) chapter 21 is a good guide for
    embedding Ruby. After some determined fiddling with Xcode, I was able
    to write a simple nicely-packaged Cocoa app that called Ruby code.
    Unfortunately, in my naive approach, Rails didn't load its required
    files. I'm pretty sure that with a better understanding of Objective-
    C, Xcode, and embedded Ruby, this approach should work just fine.

    In the end, the FXRuby part of my app always runs on dev machines, so
    I made a .term file that kicks off a bash script. That's really all I
    need, though it bugs me that I don't have a nice icon on in the dock.

    You may have an easier time of it with RubyCocoa, but then again, I
    wonder if RubyCocoa embedded in a real Cocoa app might be like
    putting two Siamese Fighting Fish in the same tank?

    Hope that is of some help,
    Scott

    Scott Willson, Jan 25, 2006

  3. Jonathan-

    Great thank you very much. i wasn't aware of a rubycocoa mailing
    list but I will sign up right away. A really appreciate you answering
    my question.

    Thanks so much-

    Ezra

    Ezra Zygmuntowicz, Jan 27, 2006
  4. Ezra Zygmuntowicz

    Une bévue Guest

    Fine, this isn't exactly my case, because my app isn't a cocoa one (no
    ui but bundled with a plist).

    For the time being i'm including, within my app, nearly all of the ruby
    1.8.4 hierarchy, i've build in my HOME, a special ruby hierarchy to be
    embeded.

    basically my requires are :

    require 'osx/aeosa'
    require 'xml/xslt'
    require "iconv"
    require 'rexml/document'
    include REXML

    Do you think your script "standaloneify.rb" could be of any help ?

    Apart ruby in HOME, i'm using a 1.8.4 ruby within the prefix :
    /usr/local

    with your script, do you i can embed the latest in my app ?

    Here is the directory structure of my app :

    /path/to/AB2Web.app/
    Contents/
    Info.plist
    PkgInfo