Run an app on a client's computer

Guest

Hi all,

If I wanted to run an application on a client's computer (with his approval
of course) from an asp.net application, how would I do?

Is it possible if the client has .NET Framework installed on his computer?

Any ideas?

TIA

Regards,
Kenneth P

Guest

Hi Eliyahu,

Sorry I don't understand anything you're saying.

What exe?

Let me give you an example what I had in mind.

I wanted the user to surf my asp.net application and then I want to check
that he is he, by checking his network card number.

By that I assume that he has to have .NET Framework installed on his computer.

But what do I have to have to be able to read his network cardnr?

An ActiveX component or? Does he have to have IEx.x? Any other technology?

Regards,
Kenneth P

Eliyahu Goldin

Kenneth,

I mean you page can have a url link to the exe you want to provide. Like

application</a>

When user clicks it, a confirmation dialog will appear. If confirmed, the
exe will load and run.

Eliyahu

Guest

Hi again,

OK, but how am I going to receive the request from the app.exe into my
asp.net app?

Kenneth

Eliyahu Goldin

Ok, better ask this question in a separate thread something like "how to
post back from a window app". You will need to associate the app post with
existent asp.net session. Not sure if you can read the session id cookie. Or
may you can pass the session id to the app as a parameter. I am just
guessing,
don't have any experience with that.

Eliyahu

Guest

Hi again,

Yes, I started a new thread

Get a postback from an ActiveX Com obj. on the client to asp.net app?

Regards,
Kenneth P

Guest

Are you aiming at users within a intranet.
If so then build a small .net windows exe.
Run that and have query the Network card interface.
When its got the info you need have it launch a webpage from your server and
pass in the info in the query string.
Or have it add a record to a DB that your webpage can read.

Deasun

Guest

Hi Deasun,

Yes and No. I'm aming to deploy the app in three modes, Lite: Internet app;
Pro: As the one you describe; Ent: As an Intranet app with very few
restrictions.

Ken