saving and viewing html

mark garrison

I'm new to computers and it's the simple things that trip me up. Can anyone
give me a step by step guide to the edit -save -browse cycle? Using Notepad,
I'm confused by conflicting instructions in books.Do I save as "text" or
"all files"? What I want to do is type out my page in html, save it and then
view it to see it as a web page. How do I do this? The longer I look at it
the less sense it makes...
You should assume that I have the least computer knowledge of anyone you've
ever met...

Kind regards, Bruce. E-mail (e-mail address removed)

Blinky the Shark

mark said:
I'm new to computers and it's the simple things that trip me up. Can
anyone give me a step by step guide to the edit -save -browse cycle?
Using Notepad, I'm confused by conflicting instructions in books.Do I
save as "text" or "all files"? What I want to do is type out my page
in html, save it and then

You can't save it as "all files". What you're seeing is a list of the
files that already exist in the directory -- "all files" that are there,
as versus only the files with some particular extension. You want to
view it in your browser, and I think from the fact that you're posting
to alt.html means that you know about html files -- so save it with an
..html extension.

Willhe

mark garrison said:
I'm new to computers and it's the simple things that trip me up. Can anyone
give me a step by step guide to the edit -save -browse cycle? Using Notepad,
I'm confused by conflicting instructions in books.Do I save as "text" or
"all files"? What I want to do is type out my page in html, save it and then
view it to see it as a web page. How do I do this? The longer I look at it
the less sense it makes...
You should assume that I have the least computer knowledge of anyone you've
ever met...

Kind regards, Bruce. E-mail (e-mail address removed)
-----------
Create your page with notepad, save it as index.html (for the homepage)
indeed
with the "save as type" set at "all files" and doubleclick your index.html
file
to view the page you created. To make changes to the page, rightclick
somewhere
in textarea of your page and select "view source". Edit the file, close it
(save changes)
and press F5 (refresh) to view the changes you've made.

Sid Ismail

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 05:24:13 +0930, "mark garrison"

: Do I save as "text" or
: "all files"? What I want to do is type out my page in html, save it and then
: view it to see it as a web page. How do I do this?

Set it to "all files" but type in .html behind your filename, e.g
savetheworld.html

Now click save, once you're in the directory you want it saved in.

To view, simply dble-click savetheworld.html using Windows Explorer to
get to your directory first.

Hope this helps.

Sid

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "mark garrison"
I'm new to computers and it's the simple things that trip me up. Can
anyone give me a step by step guide to the edit -save -browse cycle?
Using Notepad, I'm confused by conflicting instructions in books.Do I
save as "text" or "all files"? What I want to do is type out my page in
html, save it and then view it to see it as a web page. How do I do
this? The longer I look at it the less sense it makes...
You should assume that I have the least computer knowledge of anyone
you've ever met...

Kind regards, Bruce. E-mail (e-mail address removed)

If I were you, I would get a text editor with syntax highlighting. True,
Notepad is a text editor, but it's really not the right tool for the job.
May I suggest HTML-Kit <http://www.chami.com/html-kit/>, free, lots of
plugins, syntax highlighting, integrates with HTML-Tidy and TopStyle Lite
for CSS.