Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hello folks,

I have two questions.

- can one declare several pointers in main(), pass these pointers as arguments to a function, point these pointers to malloc'd memory inside this function, and still access this memory in main() after the function returns? An initial experiment suggested that this is illegal, which I interpret to mean that declaration of a pointer and the memory allocated for that pointer each have individual scopes that are not necessarily the same.

- can one define a pointer to an array "above main", then allocate the memory for it in a function that is called from within main() and still have the memory be accessible to main after the function returns? I suspect based on what I interpreted from the above experiment that the answer is no.

LATER EDIT:
- If a pointer to an array is declared above main and malloc'd at the top of main, is the memory assigned to the array visible within all functions that are called later from within main?

Many thanks,
kris

Last edited:
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
So some example programs I just wrote suggest that answers to my questions are NO, YES, and YES. If I am wrong and my example programs failed to show a memory violation, please let me know.

Thanks for looking,
kris