Scrolling tables ... almost there

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Alan Searle, Nov 2, 2007.

  1. Alan Searle

    Alan Searle Guest

    Hi everyone,

    I need to incorporate a scrolling table into a web-site and so have been
    experimenting with various thead/tbody examples that I have found on my
    googling expeditions.

    So far I have put together the following example ...

    http://alse.load4.net/tabletest/table_test08.html

    .... which works perfectly under Firefox and looks OK under IE (7.0) but
    under IE I find that the content of the first cell is hidden under my
    header-bar. You will see that the first 'The Rain in Spain' appears
    under Firefox but is hidden with IE.

    I am hoping that there is a CSS guru out there who can take a look at my
    code and tell me how I might be able to teak it to fix this problem?

    Many thanks,
    Alan Searle

    Alan Searle, Nov 2, 2007

  2. Alan Searle

    Els Guest

    You have this code in your styles, hidden from Firefox:
    thead tr {
    position: absolute;
    /* top: expression( this.parentNode.offsetHeight - 6 ); */
    }

    I guess that means that the tr in the thead is not taking up any space
    (normal side-effect of position:absolute), so the tbody starts at the
    top of the table, and is therefore covered by the thead.

    Els, Nov 2, 2007

  3. Alan Searle

    dorayme Guest

    This implementation does not work at all on Mac Safari. There was
    a recent thread on this, perhaps you could look it up.

    dorayme, Nov 2, 2007
  4. Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 2, 2007
  5. For what value of "works perfectly"? This is how it looks in
    Firefox on my computer: <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/testing/fwh.jpg>.

    Chris F.A. Johnson, Nov 3, 2007
  6. Alan Searle

    Bone Ur Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 03 Nov 2007 19:37:49
    GMT Chris F.A. Johnson scribed:
    I wonder if he meant "table test with a female _and_ male"?

    Bone Ur, Nov 3, 2007