Sending emails

Arek

Hey,

I have a question, what are the possibilities of sending emails using
ASP.net. (and VB.net)
What I think is that user can send automatic reminder if he check box on
the form and submit. Do I need to have SMTP server? Can it be done
without using of SMTP, something similar to automation in VB?
I tried before for quite a few days to automate generating word
documents and finally I gave up, so I would like to know before I start
working on the emails if there are any known solutions.
Thank you
Arek

Patrice

Not clear. If you want the user to create a mail client side you could use a
a href="mailto:" tag.
If you want this to be server side, you'll have to use System.Web.Mail, you
need a SMTP server (not necessarily local, possibly on a remote machine).

Not clear when. Is this something you want to schedule ? (in which case you
could this directly from the SQL Server database using a job that turns at
given time and sends the reminder mail...)

Patrice

Arek

Patrice,

What I would like to do is to give users options to send reminders.
For instance Mrs X adds a tasks to the database and assign MR Y to that
task. Then there is a check box on the page. If checked, when she
submits task system would send automatic email to Mr Y teeling him that
task was added and assigned to him.

Thank you
Arek

Patrice

So it looks like a mail that is sent immediatly and automatically server
side when the form is submitted.

See System.Web.Mail. You'll need of course a SMTP server but it could be at
a remote location (AFAIK needs .NET 1.1 as this configuration is done
throught the Fields Property).

See :
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;286431
(this is for CDO but should apply as well to .NET, you may have also to add
some authentification info is required byt the SMTP server).

Patrice