sending file from server to client ??

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Chris, Oct 15, 2004.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Hi,

    In ASP.NET do I want to sent a file from the server to the client and tried
    the following :

    byte[] sendData = Encoding.ASCII.GetBytes(strXmlContent);
    // strXmlContent is a string that contains the contents of a file
    Response.AddHeader("content-disposition","attachment;");
    Response.OutputStream.Write(sendData, 0, sendData.Length);

    The result is that the client gets a "File Save as..." dlgBox allowing me to
    save the contents. OK.
    Problem is that not only 'strXmlContent' was saved but the contents of the
    HTML-page as well !!

    Is there a way to separate the 2 ?
    Or another way to send a file from server to client ?

    thnx
    Chris

    Chris, Oct 15, 2004

  2. Chris

    nn Guest

    Try add Response.Clear before Response.OutputStream.Write ...
    and Response.End after that.

    nn, Oct 15, 2004