sequence point

Jrdman

what's a sequence point and how to know the position of sequence point
in our source code?

Keith Thompson

Ian Collins said:
They are summarised in Annex C of the standard. Dig out a copy of
n1124.pdf and have a look.

n1256.pdf is more current (though I don't know of any differences
involving sequence points).

(n1336.pdf, at the obvious URL, includes a re-working of sequence
points, but it's not an official document, just a very early draft of
the next standard. n1256 isn't really official either, but it
includes the official C99 standard plus the three Technical
Corrigenda.)

santosh

Keith said:
n1256.pdf is more current (though I don't know of any differences
involving sequence points).

(n1336.pdf, at the obvious URL, includes a re-working of sequence
points, but it's not an official document, just a very early draft of
the next standard. n1256 isn't really official either, but it
includes the official C99 standard plus the three Technical
Corrigenda.)

For that matter is n1124.pdf any *more* official than n1256.pdf?

Joachim Schmitz

santosh said:
For that matter is n1124.pdf any *more* official than n1256.pdf?

n1124.pdf is the C99 standard plus the first two Technical Corrigenda, so I
can't see how it would be more or less official than n1256.pdf.

n869.pdf is the C99 draft, between it and n1124.pdf there seems to be a gap,
it seems neither C99 nor C99+TC1 has ever been published. At least not been
made publicly available at no costs.

Bye, Jojo

santosh

Joachim said:
n1124.pdf is the C99 standard plus the first two Technical Corrigenda,
so I can't see how it would be more or less official than n1256.pdf.

n869.pdf is the C99 draft, between it and n1124.pdf there seems to be
a gap, it seems neither C99 nor C99+TC1 has ever been published. At
least not been made publicly available at no costs.

I asked this question because the WG14 website still lists n1124.pdf as
the latest draft of the C Standard, not n1256.pdf. In fact, there is no
mention of n1256.pdf in any of the webpages of WG14's site. One has to
directly get it from the "docs" subdirectory.

Joachim Schmitz

santosh said:
I asked this question because the WG14 website still lists n1124.pdf
as the latest draft of the C Standard, not n1256.pdf. In fact, there
is no mention of n1256.pdf in any of the webpages of WG14's site. One
has to directly get it from the "docs" subdirectory.

Ah, OK then, so as per the WG14 site it then seems that indeed n1124.pdf is
more official. But then again it's a draft only, so can't be official, can
it?
Or the website is just outdated?

Bye, Jojo

santosh

Joachim said:
Ah, OK then, so as per the WG14 site it then seems that indeed
n1124.pdf is more official. But then again it's a draft only, so can't
be official, can it?
Or the website is just outdated?

I would say the latter, since the publishing of n1256.pdf was announced
in comp.std.c by a Committee member. Now of course n1336.pdf supercedes
n1256.pdf.

James Kuyper

Joachim said:
n1124.pdf is the C99 standard plus the first two Technical Corrigenda, so I
can't see how it would be more or less official than n1256.pdf.

n1256.pdf isn't more official than n1124.pdf, it's just more up-to-date,
because it also incorporates TC3, which has since been officially approved.

Keith Thompson

santosh said:
Joachim Schmitz wrote: [...]
Ah, OK then, so as per the WG14 site it then seems that indeed
n1124.pdf is more official. But then again it's a draft only, so can't
be official, can it?
Or the website is just outdated?

I would say the latter, since the publishing of n1256.pdf was announced
in comp.std.c by a Committee member. Now of course n1336.pdf supercedes
n1256.pdf.

And I don't think an announcement on the website necessarily makes any
document "official".

n1256.pdf incorporates information from the ISO C99 standard plus the
three Technical Corrigenda, all of which are official ISO documents.
So if you want absolutely official information (say, if you're writing
a contract that requires C99 conformance), you'd want to refer to
those four individual documents, rather than to n1256, which is a
merged version produced by one of the committee members and made
available for convenience.

I don't think n1336 supersedes n1256. Any differences between n1256
and n1336 are *proposed* changes for the C1X standard. I don't think
any of the changes are semantically significant (so far they're
intended to be different wordings for the same ideas), but if they
were, a conforming C99 compiler would be required to follow n1256, not
n1336. There is no C1X standard yet.