Server.HTMLDecode doesn't decode char 345

Jonas Åkermark

Hello!

I have a problem decoding the czech character:

The HTML code for this character is ř but when running
Server.HTMLdecode on that string it just returns ř instead of the real
char. (It works on a lot of other characters)
I need to decode this string in order to render an image with this character
as a part of a headline.

Can anyone help me with this issue, or is it maybe a bug?

/kindest regards, Jonas

Karl Seguin

This works fine for me:
Response.Write(Server.HtmlDecode("ř"));

My web.config specifies:
<globalization requestEncoding="utf-8" responseEncoding="utf-8" />

maybe yours is using something else?

Karl

Jonas Åkermark

Maybe it is because I'm usning the Server object in a function in a non web
environment - a regular class:

string decodedText = System.Web.HttpContext.Current.Server.HtmlDecode(
text );

where the text property sometimes contains the char ř

Is there some way that I can tell the HtmlDecode which encoding to use?

/Jonas

Karl Seguin

i don't think that's your problem (although within a class, there's no
reason not to use System.Web.HttpUtility.HtmlDecode which decouples your
class from the context (ie, it can be reused outside of the web)).

All HtmlDecode does in the case of a numeric value (such as 345), is:

char c1 = (char) ((ushort) int.Parse("345"));
Response.Write(c1);

Is your page encoding set to utf-8? (if you put tracing on, at the top of
the trace information it says the encoding).l

Karl

--
MY ASP.Net tutorials
annoying)

Jonas Åkermark

Yes the encoding is set ut utf-8

the strange thing is that the decodedText property still contains the
"ř" string after HtmlDecode

Nevermind, thanks for your explanation of the HtmlDecode, I have now created
a SpecialDecode function instead that works fine

private static string SpecialDecode(string decodedText)
{
string tmpResult = decodedText;
bool found = true;
try
{
while(found)
{
if( tmpResult.IndexOf("&#") > -1 )
{
string chars = tmpResult.Substring( tmpResult.IndexOf("&#")+2, 3);
//decode
char c1 = (char) ((ushort) int.Parse(chars));
tmpResult = tmpResult.Replace("&#" + chars + ";", c1.ToString());
}
else
{
found = false;
catch{}

return tmpResult;
}

Joerg Jooss

Karl said:
This works fine for me:
Response.Write(Server.HtmlDecode("ř"));

My web.config specifies:
<globalization requestEncoding="utf-8" responseEncoding="utf-8" />

maybe yours is using something else?

Karl

Numeric references are based on Unicode code points, thus
requestEncoding and responseEncoding don't apply.

Cheers,