server-side printing from asp.net

edx

Hi,
this question has probably been ask a hundred times before, but searching
through this newsgroup I have not found any solution to my problem: I want
to make my asp.net website print on the server's printer. In the MSKB I
found an article describing that there are problems printing with a COM
object from ASP so I followed the instructions to make the printer available
without being logged on as a user. Then somewhere I found that the
System.Drawing.Printing namespace does "by design" not work with ASP.Net for
printing (is that true?!), so I imported all the necessary Win32 functions
and tried with them. Everything works when I compile a usual C# application,
but it won't run as a webpage: The request starts, but I never get any
response - not even a timeout, the site simply keeps loading.

Can anyone help me with this problem or point me to a solution I have not
found yet?

Thank you very much,
Felix Arends

Eric Marvets

You need to grant the ASP.NET account access to the printer. It's simply a
permissions issue. You should be able to use the GDI+ namespace then.

--
Eric Marvets
Principal Consultant

the bang project

<shameless self promotion>

Email (e-mail address removed) for Information on Our Architecture and
Mentoring Services

</shameless self promotion>

edx

You mean grant the ASPNET user permission to use the printer?
I have done that, too...

Regards,
Felix Arends