Server Side Processing - WebServices?

Tim Smith

If I have a number of 'server side' programs that need to poll and do
activity (run jobs, print things, scheduler, interfaces etc.) are
these suited to web services?

My main concern is if I can stop and start individual web services or
do I have to restart the entire asp.net if one program has an issue?

thanks

Rodrigo Meneses

Tim,
Always keep in mind that in nature, the web services are stateless; in fact
one way to persist a "session" between the consumer and the web services is
writing a database record with a security token that the consumer will use
each time that invoke your web method.
So, if you want to interrupt your services invoking web methods, you will
have to implement this kind (there may be other ways) of state-persistence
in order to your tasks to work
Hope this helps!
-Rodrigo Meneses, Software Architect
Vedantek

Michael Pearson

You probably want windows services to do this. I've written several that
send e-mails, run reports, etc.
Web services are generally used for external communication, and not for
polling type applications.

Michael