Server.Transfer produces '404-not found' error only on one computer

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Stan, Oct 21, 2004.

  1. Stan

    Stan Guest

    There are over 200 people using the intranent web site and only one computer
    has a very strange problem.

    The web page has a button. When the button is clicked, the form is posted
    back and Server.Transfer command redirects to another page.

    On only one computer out of 200 the same exactly page under the same exactly
    conditions generates '404 page not found error'.

    We tried clear IE temp files, cache, reboot, etc - no luck..

    I don't know what to think about it.

    What actually happens during Server.Transfer()?

    Thanks!

    -Stan

    Stan, Oct 21, 2004

  2. Stan

    bruce barker Guest

    server transfer works by creating a new instance of the requested page class
    (which may require a compile), then calls the the normal processig methods
    on the instance, passing its current request/response objects.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Oct 21, 2004

  3. Stan

    Stan Guest

    Are there any cookies envolved? Why would only one client get 404 error?

    Stan, Oct 21, 2004
  4. Hi Stan,

    Based on your description , the problem does seems a bit strange. I think
    the cookie envolved seems make sense, is it ok to try clearing the cookies
    on that machine and test again?
    Also, what about changing the server.transfer to response.redirect , will
    it return the same error? You may try outputing the request.Url in the
    page's code and see whether the path is the correct path when accessing the
    page from that particular client machine.

    Please feel free to post here if you've got any updates or findings. Thanks.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Oct 22, 2004
  5. Stan

    Stan Guest

    I found that it is not related to Server.Transfer. Simply every postback
    from this page results in 'Cannot find server or DNS error' error message,
    but ONLY for one client.

    So, he gets to the page fine, but when he is trying to postback to the SAME
    page it fails..

    I am out of ideas....

    Stan, Oct 25, 2004
  6. Hi Stan,

    Thanks for your followup. From your further description, I think we can
    confirm that the problem is most likely due to the clientside and the
    serverside web application should be well.
    Since that client can't do any postback to the web application, I think we
    can do some further tests as below:

    1. Visit some other web pages(on some other server) and do post back to see
    whether the problem also occur.

    2. On the client machine, use HTTPWebRequest or other tools such as
    WebFetch tool( refer to the following kb)to prorgramly use POST to request
    a certain page in your web application.

    #HOW TO: Use Wfetch.exe to Troubleshoot HTTP Connections
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=284285

    Hope helps.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Oct 26, 2004
  7. Hi Stan,

    Have you had a chance to check the things in my last reply or have you got
    any progress on this issue? If there're anything else we can help, please
    feel free to post here. Thanks.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Oct 28, 2004