Server.Transfer produces '404-not found' error only on one computer

Stan

There are over 200 people using the intranent web site and only one computer
has a very strange problem.

The web page has a button. When the button is clicked, the form is posted
back and Server.Transfer command redirects to another page.

On only one computer out of 200 the same exactly page under the same exactly
conditions generates '404 page not found error'.

We tried clear IE temp files, cache, reboot, etc - no luck..

I don't know what to think about it.

What actually happens during Server.Transfer()?

Thanks!

-Stan

bruce barker

server transfer works by creating a new instance of the requested page class
(which may require a compile), then calls the the normal processig methods
on the instance, passing its current request/response objects.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Stan

bruce barker said:
server transfer works by creating a new instance of the requested page class
(which may require a compile), then calls the the normal processig methods
on the instance, passing its current request/response objects.

Are there any cookies envolved? Why would only one client get 404 error?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Stan,

Based on your description , the problem does seems a bit strange. I think
the cookie envolved seems make sense, is it ok to try clearing the cookies
on that machine and test again?
Also, what about changing the server.transfer to response.redirect , will
it return the same error? You may try outputing the request.Url in the
page's code and see whether the path is the correct path when accessing the
page from that particular client machine.

Please feel free to post here if you've got any updates or findings. Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Stan

I found that it is not related to Server.Transfer. Simply every postback
from this page results in 'Cannot find server or DNS error' error message,
but ONLY for one client.

So, he gets to the page fine, but when he is trying to postback to the SAME
page it fails..

I am out of ideas....

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Stan,

Thanks for your followup. From your further description, I think we can
confirm that the problem is most likely due to the clientside and the
serverside web application should be well.
Since that client can't do any postback to the web application, I think we
can do some further tests as below:

1. Visit some other web pages(on some other server) and do post back to see
whether the problem also occur.

2. On the client machine, use HTTPWebRequest or other tools such as
WebFetch tool( refer to the following kb)to prorgramly use POST to request
a certain page in your web application.

#HOW TO: Use Wfetch.exe to Troubleshoot HTTP Connections
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=284285

Hope helps.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Stan,

Have you had a chance to check the things in my last reply or have you got
any progress on this issue? If there're anything else we can help, please
feel free to post here. Thanks.