session not being killed after user closes browser

Rafael Chemtob

Hi,
I'm using session cookies on my web app and it looks like the session is not
being killed when the user closes the browser. We use a Global.asa file on
our app. Do we have to explicitly write to close the session or does it get
killed when the user is closes their browser?

Please advise.
rafael

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Rafael said:
Hi,
I'm using session cookies on my web app and it looks like the session
is not being killed when the user closes the browser. We use a
Global.asa file on our app. Do we have to explicitly write to close
the session or does it get killed when the user is closes their
browser?

Please advise.
rafael

The server does not "know" when a user closes his browser, so it cannot kill
a session when that occurs. there are only two situations where the server
will kill a session:

1. A page issues a Session.Abandon command
2. The session times out

Bob Barrows

Vilmar Brazão de Oliveira

hi,
is there a possibility of doing this on unload event of window, use
session.abandon method?
thanks,

Mark Schupp

You would have to perform a request to the server from the unload event.
session.abandon is a server-side scripting function.
--
Mark Schupp
Head of Development

Vilmar Brazão de Oliveira

ok, but send me a sample of that running.
thanks

--

Sem mais,

Vlmar Brazão de Oliveira