SessionID

Paulo

Can the SessionID returns the same number used in any time?
Example: if the user receives the number 123 can this number 123 be returned
other time by other user or by himself?

or this number is never repeated?

or should I use other mechanism like: 20090904_170303
where before _ is the current date and after is the time with the mili/micro
seconds?

Evertjan.

Paulo wrote on 04 sep 2009 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
Can the SessionID returns the same number used in any time?

No, only during a session.
If the same user also opens a session with another browser, or with the
same browser at another time, it is another session with anothe sessionid
Example: if the user receives the number 123 can this number 123 be
returned other time by other user or by himself?

The sessionid is given by the ASP-server stored as a sessioncookie on the
browser and is specific for that user.

It is a very long string of characters on both sides of the =,
like:

ASPSESSIONIDCQPAULOA=KONHPFIAKKPOKCKGFPAULOHO
or this number is never repeated?

It does not repeat within a normal lifetime of less than 625 years.
or should I use other mechanism like: 20090904_170303

A mechanism to achieve what?
where before _ is the current date and after is the time with the
mili/micro seconds?

This is not as good, and you won't get microseconds
in ASP-vbscript or ASP-Jscript btw.

Strange you ask this, this knowledge is available all over the web
and in the archive of this NG too.

Is this perhaps a school assignment?