Sessions never end? IIS 5.1.

D. Shane Fowlkes

I posted this on the MS IIS NG but that NG is slow to respond so I thought
I'd try here to....

I'm using ASP(.NET) trickery to show the number of "current users" on one of
my web sites (http://www.drpt.virginia.gov). I use this method on a few of
my sites but it seems that only this one (on this machine) gives me trouble.
The trouble seems that the sessions simply never end so the code in my Sub
Session_OnEnd is never fired.

As I understand it, sessions will expire after 20 minutes but default if
there is no further activity from the requestor. Yet, my counter never
seems to decrement....only increment. My code is below and I don't think
it's a code (ASP) issue...this is a common trick and this exact code works
fine on other sites. I think it's an issue with this one machine. Can
anyone help or tell me what to check??

Thanks!!

My global.asax file:

'*****************************************************

Sub Application_OnStart

Application("URLSeed") = "http://www.drpt.virginia.gov/"
Application("CurrentSessions") = 0
Application("TotalSessions") = 0

End Sub

'******************************************************

Sub Application_OnEnd

Application("URLSeed") = Nothing

End Sub

'*******************************************************

Sub Session_OnStart

'============================================
'===== Updating Current Sessions ====================
'============================================
Application.Lock

Application("TotalSessions") = CInt(Application("TotalSessions")) + 1
Application("CurrentSessions") = CInt(Application("CurrentSessions")) + 1

Application.Unlock

End Sub

'********************************************************

Sub Session_OnEnd

Application.Lock

Application("CurrentSessions") = CInt(Application("CurrentSessions")) - 1

Application.Unlock

'Killing user's session variables
Session.Abandon()

End Sub
'*********************************************************

Ireney Berezniak

I didn't look at your code ... it seems that it maybe an IIS or server
host issue, if the code works on all machines but that one.

First, I recommend that you check server settings and ensure that the
system time/clock is set correctly. Second, check your IIS application
configuration. To do so, in IIS MMC load the properties dialog for the
web site. Under "Home Directory" tab, click the "Configuration..."
button, and click on the "Options" tab in the dialog that pop-ups.
Check the application configuration there and ensure that session state
is set to time out after the desired amount of time.

ib.

D. Shane Fowlkes

Thanks for the reply! In fact, the system clock was set to 12 hours ahead
of the real time (pm instead of am). So...how could that effect it? Thanks