setting permissions

TisMe

I have some pictures on my pages. I set the permission
for 755 but the pics are still not showing when you click on them.
What permission are they suppose to be?
What boxs under read write execute etc should be
checked in order for them to show up?

Mark Parnell

I have some pictures on my pages. I set the permission
for 755 but the pics are still not showing when you click on them.

Are you actually getting an access denied error, or is it a 404?

As usual, a URL would be most helpful.

TisMe

Mark Parnell wrote:
: On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 23:46:31 GMT, TisMe <[email protected]>
: declared in alt.html:
:
:: I have some pictures on my pages. I set the permission
:: for 755 but the pics are still not showing when you click on them.
:
: Are you actually getting an access denied error, or is it a 404?
:
: As usual, a URL would be most helpful.

The links to the pics on both of these pages sorry about the link.

http://learningpc4beginners.com/winzip1.html
http://learningpc4beginners.com/winzip2.htm

rf

TisMe said:
Mark Parnell wrote:
: On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 23:46:31 GMT, TisMe <[email protected]>
: declared in alt.html:
:
:: I have some pictures on my pages. I set the permission
:: for 755 but the pics are still not showing when you click on them.
:
: Are you actually getting an access denied error, or is it a 404?
:
: As usual, a URL would be most helpful.

The links to the pics on both of these pages sorry about the link.

http://learningpc4beginners.com/winzip1.html
http://learningpc4beginners.com/winzip2.htm

Hmmm... http://www.learningpc4newbies.com/zipppingaa.jpg

Should this not be
http://www.learningpc4beginners.com/zipppingaa.jpg

BTW 184K is WAY to big for that image. Apply some compression.

Cheers
Richard.

TisMe

rf wrote:
: :: Mark Parnell wrote:
::: On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 23:46:31 GMT, TisMe <[email protected]>
::: declared in alt.html:
:::
:::: I have some pictures on my pages. I set the permission
:::: for 755 but the pics are still not showing when you click on them.
:::
::: Are you actually getting an access denied error, or is it a 404?
:::
::: As usual, a URL would be most helpful.
::
:: The links to the pics on both of these pages sorry about the link.
::
::
:: http://learningpc4beginners.com/winzip1.html
:: http://learningpc4beginners.com/winzip2.htm
:
: Hmmm... http://www.learningpc4newbies.com/zipppingaa.jpg
:
: Should this not be
: http://www.learningpc4beginners.com/zipppingaa.jpg
:
: BTW 184K is WAY to big for that image. Apply some compression.
:
: Cheers
: Richard.
..

OOps! Thank you! *WeeBit Blushes* One question though... How do I
apply compression?

TisMe

Mark Parnell wrote:
: On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 01:17:35 GMT, TisMe <[email protected]>
: declared in alt.html:
:
:: http://learningpc4beginners.com/winzip1.html
:: http://learningpc4beginners.com/winzip2.htm
:
: Works fine here, but I'm assuming you have fixed them since Richard's
: post.
:
: I agree with Richard about the file size, though - takes a good 5-10
: seconds to download each one here, and I'm on broadband.
:
: You might want to check your spelling/grammar too (e.g. "the very fist
: window"). :)

Thanks guys! I corrected the spelling error. Yes I did correct the links
before you got there.
I forgot I had changed domains. Ok so how do I do the file compression?

rf

TisMe said:
: http://www.learningpc4beginners.com/zipppingaa.jpg
:
: BTW 184K is WAY to big for that image. Apply some compression.
OOps! Thank you! *WeeBit Blushes*

Happens :). That is why you always supply a URL when posting a question.
One question though... How do I
apply compression?

The image editor you used to create the jpeg will have an option to apply
compression.

<steals image to play />

What did you use to create this? Not MS Paint by any chance?

I dumped it into my image editor and saved it without compression and it
turned out to be 41K. At 50% compression, 12K with not many visible
artifacts.

Hmmm... I saved it as a bmp. The bmp is 185K. Hmmm again. Did you simply
save this as a bmp and then rename it to .jpg? I did so and, guess what? the
browser displays it.

Looks hard... right click>save as wants to save it as a bmp. You *did* save
it as a bmp and rename it, didn't you :) That is not how it's done, you
need to save it as a jpg. Paint (windows 2k or above) will do this for you.
When dumped into paint it saved at 14K.

This, however, this is a picture of text. jpeg is a lossy format,
compressing text tends to make text blurry and unreadable. You might be
better off saving it as a gif, which uses a non-lossy compression. I did
this with your image and the gif is 5K, a bit less than your 185K :)

Cheers
Richard.

Big Bill

.

OOps! Thank you! *WeeBit Blushes* One question though... How do I
apply compression?

Go to www.xat.com and download one of their gadgets. Or, if we're
talking about jpegs, just open and close the file in Windows Paint.
That'll do it.

BB

TisMe

rf wrote:
: :: rf wrote:
::: :
::: http://www.learningpc4beginners.com/zipppingaa.jpg
:::
::: BTW 184K is WAY to big for that image. Apply some compression.
:
:: OOps! Thank you! *WeeBit Blushes*
:
: Happens :). That is why you always supply a URL when posting a
: question.
:
:: One question though... How do I
:: apply compression?
:
: The image editor you used to create the jpeg will have an option to
: apply compression.
:
: <steals image to play />
:
: What did you use to create this? Not MS Paint by any chance?

I cannot tell a lie, i used MS paint. I changed the filename by typing in
"filename.jpg" including the quotes. I believe it was a bmp file too
before hand.

:
[...]

Paint doesn't like gif formats. it does a lousy job guys,
when you are done with it... it looks like you turned it over to a
six year old to play with. The color is crap, and the
whole file looks like crap.

: 185K :)
:
: Cheers
: Richard.

TisMe

TisMe wrote:
: Mark Parnell wrote:
[...]

It would of helped if I had of put the width and height in too.

Nik Coughin

TisMe said:
Paint doesn't like gif formats. it does a lousy job guys,
when you are done with it... it looks like you turned it over to a
six year old to play with. The color is crap, and the
whole file looks like crap.

Download Paint Shop Pro from http://www.jascsoftware.com

PSP is quite good if you know how to use it properly, and it's also quite
cheap. You can get a working demo from the site above.

Or get Irfanview, which is free:

http://www.irfanview.com/

It won't let you edit your images, but you can open and save in a lot of
different formats. It won't make horrible looking GIF files like Paint does
(Paint dithers your GIF using some particularly crappy standard palette).

rf

TisMe said:
rf wrote:
: <steals image to play />
:
: What did you use to create this? Not MS Paint by any chance?

I cannot tell a lie, i used MS paint. I changed the filename by typing in
"filename.jpg" including the quotes. I believe it was a bmp file too
before hand.

As well as specifying the file name you have to specify the type of the
file, in the combo box under the one where you typed in the file name.
Paint doesn't like gif formats. it does a lousy job guys,

What?

It uses the same OS component for compression/decompression as a lot of
other MS programs use, including IE.
when you are done with it... it looks like you turned it over to a
six year old to play with. The color is crap, and the
whole file looks like crap.

Whatever. Its still a whole lot better than a 185K bmp.

Cheers
Richard.

TisMe

rf wrote:
: :: rf wrote:
::: <steals image to play />
:::
::: What did you use to create this? Not MS Paint by any chance?
::
::
:: I cannot tell a lie, i used MS paint. I changed the filename by
:: typing in "filename.jpg" including the quotes. I believe it was a
:: bmp file too before hand.
:
: As well as specifying the file name you have to specify the type of
: the file, in the combo box under the one where you typed in the file
: name.

Not if I include the quotes. Which I did in this case. zipping1.bmp was
changed to "zipping1.jpg"

Nik Coughin

TisMe said:
Not if I include the quotes. Which I did in this case. zipping1.bmp
was changed to "zipping1.jpg"

That doesn't change the file type, only the file name. I can rename a word
document from my.doc to my.txt, but try doing that and then opening the file
with notepad.

rf

TisMe said:
rf wrote:
: :: rf wrote:
::: <steals image to play />
:::

rf said:
Whatever. Its still a whole lot better than a 185K bmp.

Cheers
Richard.

Nah, it looks really shit. Paint uses a standard palette and dithers to it.

Original pic:
http://www.nrkn.com/temp/photo.png

Saved as GIF in Paint:
http://www.nrkn.com/temp/photoPaint.gif

Saved as GIF in PSP:
http://www.nrkn.com/temp/photoPSP.gif

And that picture actually looks OK in Paint. I've seen Paint do much worse
than that, it depends on how suitable the standard palette is for the image
in question.