Setting up remote web applications with Access db

Larry Rekow

I've set up small web apps on a few of my clients' servers using
Frontpage and ASP and Access. I have them running IIS 5.

I want to begin using ASP.NET and convert the current apps and create
new ones.

In my home office, I've created some test apps on my home server, and
I can add local servers and data connections using the server explorer
in VB.NET 2003.

But I can't seem to add any servers or data connections on any of my
client's servers. Is this not possible? Do I need to create these
apps locally and copy them using project copy later?

Maybe I'm just spoiled with the ease of doing this using FP and the FP
extensions.

Larry Rekow
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Lucas Tam

In my home office, I've created some test apps on my home server, and
I can add local servers and data connections using the server explorer
in VB.NET 2003.

You don't need to add the servers to your server explorer.

All you need is the connectionstring to the server - then you can create
the datasets/datareaders in code.

You may not be able to access your client's databases because they maybe
firewalled. Also, I don't think Access DBs can be viewed remotely since
Access has no Daemon running.

Larry Rekow

You don't need to add the servers to your server explorer.

All you need is the connectionstring to the server - then you can create
the datasets/datareaders in code.

You may not be able to access your client's databases because they maybe
firewalled. Also, I don't think Access DBs can be viewed remotely since
Access has no Daemon running.
Thanks for the response, Lucas.

On my server on my home LAN, i can view the Access DB fine...shows
tables, views, etc., etc.

I can open the client's web app project from home, so I don't think
there is any firewall problem. If there was, I can open any required
ports.

I'm ok with not being able to add the servers or data connections I
guess. Do you mean that i just have to put the data connection string
into each and every page that uses it? Is there not a way to put in a
global setting of some sort?

Thanks again,

Larry
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Lucas Tam

On my server on my home LAN, i can view the Access DB fine...shows
tables, views, etc., etc.

Is that because the file is local on your machine? (i.e. the DSN is local?)
I'm ok with not being able to add the servers or data connections I
guess. Do you mean that i just have to put the data connection string
into each and every page that uses it? Is there not a way to put in a
global setting of some sort?

Yup, you use the Web.config file to store global parameters.

Larry Rekow

Is that because the file is local on your machine? (i.e. the DSN is local?)

No, do not use DSN. My server at home is on my LAN, and it's running
IIS5. From any of my workstations on my lan running VB.Net, I can add
the server and the data connections in my server explorer.
Yup, you use the Web.config file to store global parameters.

I'll google around for examples on adding my connection string to my
Access db in the Web.config file

Also, when using crystal reports (again, from my workstation), it has
no problem seeing the db, tables and views, etc. on the db on my
server. Would be nice if i could also "see" these things while making
regular web form pages.

thanks,

Larry

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Lucas Tam

Also, when using crystal reports (again, from my workstation), it has
no problem seeing the db, tables and views, etc. on the db on my
server. Would be nice if i could also "see" these things while making
regular web form pages.

I don't have problems seeing remote databases - but I'm using SQL server
databases which have TCP to connect to.

Not sure how you would remotely connect to an Access Database though.