Sikuli: the coolest Python project I have yet seen...

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ron, Jan 25, 2010.

  1. Ron

    Ron Guest

    Ron, Jan 25, 2010

  2. Ron

    tim Guest

    Wow , It look likes like better than autoIt !!

    Very impressed.

    tim, Jan 25, 2010

  3. Ron

    Carl Banks Guest

    Nice, thanks for the link. Very happy to see people using Python for
    cool stuff like this, also to see the alternate implementations in
    use.

    And it couldn't come at a better time for me as I am trying to figure
    out how to automate some GUI-only program I am forced to use at work.

    Carl Banks

    Carl Banks, Jan 25, 2010

  4. It looks really nice, but the screenhost-taking did not work on my
    computer (Win7). Innovative yet simple idea this mix-visual-and-code.

    Olof Bjarnason, Jan 25, 2010
  5. It looks like your web site is down.

    JM

    Jean-Michel Pichavant, Jan 25, 2010
  6. Ron

    Robin Becker Guest

    there's a u-tube here

    Robin Becker, Jan 25, 2010
  7. This link is broken!

    --V

    Virgil Stokes, Jan 25, 2010
  8. Hello,

    I think the site is under maintenance. I tried a couple of hours ago
    and it worked fine.

    As an alternative, I found that this link also worked:
    http://www.sikuli.org/

    Unfortunately, it seems it's not working right now.

    Best regards,
    Javier

    Javier Collado, Jan 25, 2010
  9. Ron

    Ron Guest

    Thew link at MIT does appear to be down right now, but I presume it
    will come back up.

    Well, those of you who find it underwhelming are in good company. See
    the blog post at Lambda the Ultimate
    http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/3783

    I was impressed though by the application to notify you when your bus
    gets close to the pickup point, using Google maps, and by the app to
    automatically chart a course to Houston from LA on I-10, again using
    Google maps. And perhaps most of all, the app to notify you when your
    sleeping baby wakes up, from a picture on a digital camera.

    Hey, most of life is non-deterministic. I am in the analog engineering
    world and simple, deterministic black and white situations are all
    fine and useful, but I can see this very easy to use and simple
    technology being useful also ;-))

    All of the above apps are but a few lines of code.

    Ron

    Ron, Jan 25, 2010
  10. Ron

    Terry Reedy Guest

    This just redirects to the link below

    Worked for me both yesterday and now.

    Terry Reedy, Jan 25, 2010
  11. Ron

    Ron Guest

    OK, here's an idea. I used to do screen scraping scripts and run them
    as CGI scripts with an HTMl user interface. Why not run Sikuli on
    Jython on a JVM running on my server, so that I can do my screen
    scraping with Sikuli? I can take user inputs by using CGI forms from a
    web client, process the requests using a Sikuli script on the server,
    and send the results back to the web client.

    This sounds like fun to me, and easier to highlight and capture the
    appropriate screen information on targeted web sites using Sikuli than
    to hand code location information or even using Beautiful Soup.

    Ron, Jan 26, 2010
  12. I confirmed it now works.
    The demo is pretty impressive.

    However one should not be the kind of guy changing its desktop theme on
    a regular basis. If I got it well, all is based on bitmap recognition
    (with some tolerance though). I'll still give it a try.

    JM

    Jean-Michel Pichavant, Jan 26, 2010
  13. Ron

    CM Guest

    How is this preferable to a macro recorder?

    CM, Jan 26, 2010
  14. Ron

    Ron Guest

    Well, the pattern recognition engine allows you to recognize partial
    matches to any image, to any desired degree of accuracy. In other
    words, you can specify to take action only when an exact match is
    found, or else when a 50% match is found. This allows applications
    like the baby monitor (to tell you when your sleeping baby wakes up,
    and the imminent bus arrival monitor (to tell you when your bus is
    within one mile or any distance you want), and the route mapper from
    one city to another on a digital map.

    Another thing, Sikuli works with web pages. In other words, you can
    automate interaction with web sites as well as with desktop
    applications.

    You can also automate the entry of text.

    And it works (theoretically) on any graphical platform (Mac, Linux,
    Window, smartphones, etc).

    Probably other advantages. Those are just the ones I see off the top
    of my head.

    Good question.

    Ron

    Ron, Jan 26, 2010
  15. Ron

    Terry Reedy Guest

    One can add program logic to the interaction. For instance, one of the
    demos on YouTube uses sikuli to read a Bejeweled (game) board. Program
    logic then calculates a move.

    Terry Reedy, Jan 26, 2010
  16. Ron

    alex23 Guest

    Sikuli doesn't seem that much different from Python in this way: it
    may not be the most efficient use of the computer's time, but I dare
    say it's significantly less demanding on the end user's.

    I can see Sikuli easily progressing to a full visual programming
    interface, replacing the 'click' keyword et al with iconic
    representations.

    Simple "script-less" GUI macro-ing for the masses? Fantastic.

    alex23, Jan 27, 2010