Sikuli: the coolest Python project I have yet seen...

tim

Sikuli is the coolest Python project I have ever seen in my ten year
hobbyist career. An MIT oepn source project, Sikuli uses Python to
automate GUI tasks (in any GUI or GUI baed app that runs the JVM) by
simply drag and dropping GUI elements into Python scripts as function
arguments. Download athttp://sikuli.csail.mit.edu/I also did this
podcast about Sikulihttp://media.libsyn.com/media/awaretek/Python411_20100124_Sikuli.mp3

Wow , It look likes like better than autoIt !!

Very impressed.

Carl Banks

Sikuli is the coolest Python project I have ever seen in my ten year
hobbyist career. An MIT oepn source project, Sikuli uses Python to
automate GUI tasks (in any GUI or GUI baed app that runs the JVM) by
simply drag and dropping GUI elements into Python scripts as function
arguments. Download athttp://sikuli.csail.mit.edu/I also did this
podcast about Sikulihttp://media.libsyn.com/media/awaretek/Python411_20100124_Sikuli.mp3

Nice, thanks for the link. Very happy to see people using Python for
cool stuff like this, also to see the alternate implementations in
use.

And it couldn't come at a better time for me as I am trying to figure
out how to automate some GUI-only program I am forced to use at work.

Carl Banks

Olof Bjarnason

2010/1/25 Ron said:
Sikuli is the coolest Python project I have ever seen in my ten year
hobbyist career. An MIT oepn source project, Sikuli uses Python to
automate GUI tasks (in any GUI or GUI baed app that runs the JVM) by
simply drag and dropping GUI elements into Python scripts as function
arguments. Download at http://sikuli.csail.mit.edu/ I also did this
podcast about Sikuli http://media.libsyn.com/media/awaretek/Python411_20100124_Sikuli.mp3

It looks really nice, but the screenhost-taking did not work on my
computer (Win7). Innovative yet simple idea this mix-visual-and-code.

Jean-Michel Pichavant

Ron said:
Sikuli is the coolest Python project I have ever seen in my ten year
hobbyist career. An MIT oepn source project, Sikuli uses Python to
automate GUI tasks (in any GUI or GUI baed app that runs the JVM) by
simply drag and dropping GUI elements into Python scripts as function
arguments. Download at http://sikuli.csail.mit.edu/ I also did this
podcast about Sikuli http://media.libsyn.com/media/awaretek/Python411_20100124_Sikuli.mp3
It looks like your web site is down.

JM

Virgil Stokes

Sikuli is the coolest Python project I have ever seen in my ten year
hobbyist career. An MIT oepn source project, Sikuli uses Python to
automate GUI tasks (in any GUI or GUI baed app that runs the JVM) by
simply drag and dropping GUI elements into Python scripts as function
arguments. Download at http://sikuli.csail.mit.edu/ I also did this
This link is broken!

--V

Javier Collado

Hello,

I think the site is under maintenance. I tried a couple of hours ago
and it worked fine.

As an alternative, I found that this link also worked:
http://www.sikuli.org/

Unfortunately, it seems it's not working right now.

Best regards,
Javier

Ron

Thew link at MIT does appear to be down right now, but I presume it
will come back up.

Well, those of you who find it underwhelming are in good company. See
the blog post at Lambda the Ultimate
http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/3783

I was impressed though by the application to notify you when your bus
gets close to the pickup point, using Google maps, and by the app to
automatically chart a course to Houston from LA on I-10, again using
Google maps. And perhaps most of all, the app to notify you when your
sleeping baby wakes up, from a picture on a digital camera.

Hey, most of life is non-deterministic. I am in the analog engineering
world and simple, deterministic black and white situations are all
fine and useful, but I can see this very easy to use and simple
technology being useful also ;-))

All of the above apps are but a few lines of code.

Ron

Ron

OK, here's an idea. I used to do screen scraping scripts and run them
as CGI scripts with an HTMl user interface. Why not run Sikuli on
Jython on a JVM running on my server, so that I can do my screen
scraping with Sikuli? I can take user inputs by using CGI forms from a
web client, process the requests using a Sikuli script on the server,
and send the results back to the web client.

This sounds like fun to me, and easier to highlight and capture the
appropriate screen information on targeted web sites using Sikuli than
to hand code location information or even using Beautiful Soup.

Jean-Michel Pichavant

Terry said:
This just redirects to the link below

Worked for me both yesterday and now.
I confirmed it now works.
The demo is pretty impressive.

However one should not be the kind of guy changing its desktop theme on
a regular basis. If I got it well, all is based on bitmap recognition
(with some tolerance though). I'll still give it a try.

JM

CM

Sikuli is the coolest Python project I have ever seen in my ten year
hobbyist career. An MIT oepn source project, Sikuli uses Python to
automate GUI tasks (in any GUI or GUI baed app that runs the JVM) by
simply drag and dropping GUI elements into Python scripts as function
arguments. Download athttp://sikuli.csail.mit.edu/I also did this
podcast about Sikulihttp://media.libsyn.com/media/awaretek/Python411_20100124_Sikuli.mp3

How is this preferable to a macro recorder?

Ron

How is this preferable to a macro recorder?

Well, the pattern recognition engine allows you to recognize partial
matches to any image, to any desired degree of accuracy. In other
words, you can specify to take action only when an exact match is
found, or else when a 50% match is found. This allows applications
like the baby monitor (to tell you when your sleeping baby wakes up,
and the imminent bus arrival monitor (to tell you when your bus is
within one mile or any distance you want), and the route mapper from
one city to another on a digital map.

Another thing, Sikuli works with web pages. In other words, you can
automate interaction with web sites as well as with desktop
applications.

You can also automate the entry of text.

And it works (theoretically) on any graphical platform (Mac, Linux,
Window, smartphones, etc).

Probably other advantages. Those are just the ones I see off the top
of my head.

Good question.

Ron

Terry Reedy

How is this preferable to a macro recorder?

One can add program logic to the interaction. For instance, one of the
demos on YouTube uses sikuli to read a Bejeweled (game) board. Program
logic then calculates a move.

alex23

Tim Roberts said:
it's not the most efficient way to automate applications

Sikuli doesn't seem that much different from Python in this way: it
may not be the most efficient use of the computer's time, but I dare
say it's significantly less demanding on the end user's.

I can see Sikuli easily progressing to a full visual programming
interface, replacing the 'click' keyword et al with iconic
representations.

Simple "script-less" GUI macro-ing for the masses? Fantastic.