    I hear access has a limit of 10-15 concurrent users...although I have never
    run into probs.

    Cheers, Joe

    Joe Van Meer, May 5, 2004

  2. Joe Van Meer

    Charlie@CBFC Guest

    Hi:

    I have chosen to use Jet 4.0 db engine on an e-commerce site because client
    wants to save on hosting costs and doesn't expect a lot of traffic. In the
    past I have always used SQL Server and FoxPro without problems.

    What are the size and concurrency limits on Jet dB engine? When is it time
    to upgrade to SQL Server? Is there any documentation on this?

    Thanks,
    Charlie

    Charlie@CBFC, May 5, 2004

  3. From my experience..
    a 2GB documented file size limitation although the database will start to go
    haywire long before it reaches that size. About 9,10 "writeable"
    (insert/update/deletes) concurrent connections and 30+ "read only"
    connections (executing select SQL statements). Performance degrades quite a
    bit after 20 readable connections.

    Other considerations...

    Be sure to have the mdb file located on the same box as the webserver
    otherwise performance goes out the window.

    Access 97 (Jet 3.5x) is preunicode. Later versions - the file size will be
    roughly double.

    SQL Server databases security is much better (Jet may be adequate though)
    and is less prone to becoming corrupt.

    Hope this helps.

    Good luck.

    Peter O'Reilly, May 5, 2004