Size limit for web.config, and how is it stored in memory

Mike Sharp

Hi all,

I have a few questions.

1. Is there a practical maximum size for a web.config file? Point of
diminishing returns? My reason for asking is that I am storing a fairly
large amount of application configuration info in web.config, processing it
with a generic configuration section handler, and I'm wondering where this
breaks down.

2. Is the web.config actually stored as a DOM object (or other XML object)
in memory, or does ASP.NET simply parse it when the filewatcher says it's
changed, populating an internal set of variables/objects (much like a
configuration section handler works)? If the second case is true, when I
use a custom configuration section handler, I assume ASP.NET would have to
re-parse web.config?

Thanks in advance!
Mike

Robbe Morris [C# MVP]

Well, you only have one instance of it being loaded into memory.
So, you have to stored an awful lot in the config file for it to
even begin to be a problem.

Just how much are you putting in?