[Slightly OT] Ruby Image

Brian Schroeder

Hello Group,

I will give a talk on ruby, and I'm missing a nice image for the first
slide. It may be not very creative, but I'd like a picture of a nice ruby
gem. I did not find any good images on the net, so I wondered if maybe
somebody here has a good one and would give me the permission to use it
for my talk.

Thanks,

Brian

Lyle Johnson

I will give a talk on ruby, and I'm missing a nice image for the first
slide. It may be not very creative, but I'd like a picture of a nice ruby
gem. I did not find any good images on the net, so I wondered if maybe
somebody here has a good one and would give me the permission to use it
for my talk.

There's a nice image on the front page of the RubyGarden Wiki:

http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby

and several other nice images here:

http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RubyImages

Hope this helps,

Lyle

James Edward Gray II

Hello Group,

I will give a talk on ruby, and I'm missing a nice image for the first
slide. It may be not very creative, but I'd like a picture of a nice
ruby
gem. I did not find any good images on the net, so I wondered if maybe
somebody here has a good one and would give me the permission to use it
for my talk.

If you describe what you're after I will try to ray trace one for you.

James Edward Gray II

Roeland Moors

Hello Group,

I will give a talk on ruby, and I'm missing a nice image for the first
slide. It may be not very creative, but I'd like a picture of a nice ruby
gem. I did not find any good images on the net, so I wondered if maybe
somebody here has a good one and would give me the permission to use it
for my talk.

This looks nice:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/diamond/gp14ruby.html
This is a picture of the largest known ruby.

Jim Weirich

Brian Schroeder said:
Hello Group,

I will give a talk on ruby, and I'm missing a nice image for the first
slide. It may be not very creative, but I'd like a picture of a nice ruby
gem. I did not find any good images on the net, so I wondered if maybe
somebody here has a good one and would give me the permission to use it
for my talk.

Don't know exactly what you are looking for, but I used the following for
one of my ruby talks ...

http://onestepback.org/articles/invitationtoruby/cover.html

Brian Schroeder

If you describe what you're after I will try to ray trace one for you.

James Edward Gray II

Thank you, but I think that would be too much effort for the cause. (But
I'm getting the feeling that it is something you'd be doing in any case,
just because it is interesting. ;) in this case keep us informed.)

Brian

Brian Schroeder

Thanks to everybody,

as always one can count on you, even though I got the feeling that I
should have found this images without your help. I surfed ruby-doc and
ruby-lang, and used google, but to no avail.

Thanks!

Brian

Curt Hibbs

James said:
If you describe what you're after I will try to ray trace one for you.

If you would be willing to do this and contribute it to the WhyRuby project
(http://whyruby.rubyforge.org/), then we could make it easily available to
anyone (also if brian would be willing to contribute his presentation, that
would be wonderful as well). A ray-traced image would be brilliant and
clear.

Here's a couple images that could serve as a model:

http://www.facetersco-op.com/Synthetics/AZ40.jpg

http://www.gemsbiz.com/docs/Images/Ruby_hs.jpg

The first image is clearer, but somewhat washed out, while the second has
richer color but is too dark to see all of the facets.

What would work best would be a large image (say 320x200 or 640x480) because
that could be easily scaled down for other uses.

Curt

Hal Fulton

Ryan said:
i created this image a few years back for a shirt
(http://parseerror.com/images/shirts/pics/ruby-shirt.jpg) for RubyConf
1 (used it for my (very) little cookbook at
http://parseerror.com/ruby/) ; i still think it looks cool, however
the cut of the ruby is all wrong, it's shaped like a diamond; whereas
all the images of rubies i've seen have them cut in a circular/oval
shape. ah well.

I remember that. :) I like it, it reminds me of my superman idea.

See http://www.cafepress.com/rubyshop

By the way: I'm announcing this too late to benefit this year's conference,
but 100% of all RubyShop profits go to RubyCentral.

And don't buy the poster, I'm redoing it. ;)

Hal

Mark Hubbart

Hello Group,

I will give a talk on ruby, and I'm missing a nice image for the first
slide. It may be not very creative, but I'd like a picture of a nice
ruby
gem. I did not find any good images on the net, so I wondered if maybe
somebody here has a good one and would give me the permission to use it
for my talk.

Here's one that I masked off a few days ago:
http://homepage.mac.com/discord/big-ruby.png (~700k)

It's really difficult to find anything of a decent size; It seems that
high quality pictures of gemstones don't really exist :/

cheers,
Mark

Curt Hibbs

Mark said:
Here's one that I masked off a few days ago:
http://homepage.mac.com/discord/big-ruby.png (~700k)

It's really difficult to find anything of a decent size; It seems that
high quality pictures of gemstones don't really exist :/

Can I add this to the WhyRuby repository? This one is pretty good. I'd still
like to get a ray traced version that's not so dark.

James, this one would probably make a better model than the images I
posted -- I think the oval shape is more interesting than round.

Curt

Brian Schroeder

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 00:17:42 +0900, Curt Hibbs wrote:

(also if brian would be willing to contribute his
presentation, that would be wonderful as well).

Shure, that was already my idea. It will be a 4*4 Hours Course on Ruby for
Computer Science Students of different years. I already decided to make
the slides in english, even though there will be only german speaking
students, but I think the community could use this for ruby advocacy.

It will be ready in the first week of october, thats when the course is
hold.

Regards,

Brian

James Edward Gray II

If you would be willing to do this and contribute it to the WhyRuby
project
(http://whyruby.rubyforge.org/), then we could make it easily
available to
anyone (also if brian would be willing to contribute his presentation,
that
would be wonderful as well). A ray-traced image would be brilliant and
clear.

My contributions:

http://www.grayproductions.net/Ruby/Ruby.jpg

and

http://www.grayproductions.net/Ruby/Etched_Ruby.jpg

These images are 100% free. Anyone may use them, anywhere, for
anything.

Hope that helps.

James Edward Gray II

Brian Schroeder

These images are 100% free. Anyone may use them, anywhere, for anything.

Hope that helps.

James Edward Gray II

Hello,

these images are really cool. Brilliant look. But would it be possible for
you to render them again on a white background, such that it is possible
to include them in light environments. Then we'll miss the cool lense
effects, but maybe you could even try it with a white bottom plate.

Thanks a lot,

Brian