Smart Select Boxes

Bob

Hello.
Does anyone know if there is a way to select an item in a select box by
typing the beginning of the word and it finds it in the list?
As an example:
Say I want to go to the item named "M1234" in the list.
When I type M it goes to the first "M" item.
When I type 1 it goes to the first "1" item.
Is there a way to make it go to the first "M1" item instead of jumping back
to the "1" item?
Is it even possible to do this in classic ASP?
Thanks for any help.

Bob Barrows

Bob said:
Hello.
Does anyone know if there is a way to select an item in a select box
by typing the beginning of the word and it finds it in the list?
As an example:
Say I want to go to the item named "M1234" in the list.
When I type M it goes to the first "M" item.
When I type 1 it goes to the first "1" item.
Is there a way to make it go to the first "M1" item instead of
jumping back to the "1" item?
Is it even possible to do this in classic ASP?

No. ASP is server-side code. What you want is only possible in client-side
code.
Here is a demo showing one way to do it:
http://www.thrasherwebdesign.com/index.asp?pi=links&hp=links.asp
Scroll down to the Dynamic Listbox demo.

Followups should go to a client-side coding newsgroup such as .scripting.*
or one of the newsgroups with "dhtml" in their names.

HTH,
Bob Barrows