SmartNavigation and Redirect Problems

Dagong Wang

Hi,

I have an ASP.NET application that works fine in my testing server. However,
when I uploaded it into a hosting server, page SmartNavigation option and
server side redirection, such as FormsAuthentication.RedirectFromLoginPage,
quit working. They told me to recompile the code there, and it did not solve
these issues.

Do you have any clue what might cause the difference?
Thank you very much.

Dagong

Peter Rilling

Microsoft does not document the behavior of SmartNavigation very well.
Don't know if this is your problem, but SmartNavigation uses a hidden
iframe. When you submit the form, you are actually submitting the iframe.
When the page returns, the DOM is copied to the page that you are viewing.

Scott

There a fair number of problems with SmartNavigation; especially with redirections, I would try turning it off just prior to your redirects:

Page.SmartNavigation = false;

Scott

Hi,

I have an ASP.NET application that works fine in my testing server. However,
when I uploaded it into a hosting server, page SmartNavigation option and
server side redirection, such as FormsAuthentication.RedirectFromLoginPage,
quit working. They told me to recompile the code there, and it did not solve
these issues.

Do you have any clue what might cause the difference?
Thank you very much.

Dagong

Peter Rilling

I have been told that once you turn SmartArchive on, you cannot turn it off
programmatically because all interaction with the server happens through an
iframe, not the main page.

There a fair number of problems with SmartNavigation; especially with
redirections, I would try turning it off just prior to your redirects:

Page.SmartNavigation = false;

Scott

Hi,

I have an ASP.NET application that works fine in my testing server.
However,
when I uploaded it into a hosting server, page SmartNavigation option and
server side redirection, such as
FormsAuthentication.RedirectFromLoginPage,
quit working. They told me to recompile the code there, and it did not
solve
these issues.

Do you have any clue what might cause the difference?
Thank you very much.

Dagong

Scott

Before we abandoned SmartNavigation; we had some scheme where this worked for some redirection problem, it's worth a shot.

Scott