SMTP mailing problem (sending 1000 messages)

Riku Kosonen

Hi,

We have some problems with sending mail with the SMTP service on IIS
(Windows 2000). We use the ASP.NET platform and have an ASPX-page that sends
different mail messages to about 1000 clients.

After some tests we found out that in one test some messages didn't arrive
at all to the recipient. All logs state that the operation went nicely (no
errors, no bad mail in the mailroot, etc.). We suspect that the target mail
server (all messages went to the same server) blocked some messages (maybe a
spam-filter or something). Is this possible?

In one test the operation was aborted by a exception (after 960 out 1000
messages sent). The exception in below. Any idea what caused the exception?

Exception:
System.Threading.ThreadAbortException
Source:
mscorlib
Message:
Thread was being aborted.
Stacktrace:
at System.RuntimeType.InvokeDispMethod(String name, BindingFlags
invokeAttr, Object target, Object[] args, Boolean[] byrefModifiers, Int32
culture, String[] namedParameters)
at System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr,
Binder binder, Object target, Object[] args, ParameterModifier[] modifiers,
CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParameters)
at System.Web.Mail.LateBoundAccessHelper.CallMethod(Object obj, String
methodName, Object[] args)

Kevin Spencer

There are all kinds of reaswons why an email might go missing at the
receiving end. SPAM filters, Junk Email filters, dropped packets, and let's
not forget the end user deleting it by accident.

As for the ThreadAbortException, that could be caused by the Application
recycling. It could also be caused by your code, if you're using Threading.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Neither a follower nor a lender be.

Simon Harris

Is it always the same email addresses that do not recieve the message?

Riku Kosonen said:
[...]

We couldn't repeat that test because it was done in a production environment
with live users. All the users were in the same mail-domain though. Some
users received their mail and some didn't. Other similar tests in a test
environment worked fine (apart from one that was interrupted in an
exception).