SMTP mailing problem (sending 1000 messages)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Riku Kosonen, Jan 4, 2005.

  1. Riku Kosonen

    Riku Kosonen Guest

    Hi,

    We have some problems with sending mail with the SMTP service on IIS
    (Windows 2000). We use the ASP.NET platform and have an ASPX-page that sends
    different mail messages to about 1000 clients.

    After some tests we found out that in one test some messages didn't arrive
    at all to the recipient. All logs state that the operation went nicely (no
    errors, no bad mail in the mailroot, etc.). We suspect that the target mail
    server (all messages went to the same server) blocked some messages (maybe a
    spam-filter or something). Is this possible?

    In one test the operation was aborted by a exception (after 960 out 1000
    messages sent). The exception in below. Any idea what caused the exception?

    Exception:
    System.Threading.ThreadAbortException
    Source:
    mscorlib
    Message:
    Thread was being aborted.
    Stacktrace:
    at System.RuntimeType.InvokeDispMethod(String name, BindingFlags
    invokeAttr, Object target, Object[] args, Boolean[] byrefModifiers, Int32
    culture, String[] namedParameters)
    at System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr,
    Binder binder, Object target, Object[] args, ParameterModifier[] modifiers,
    CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParameters)
    at System.Web.Mail.LateBoundAccessHelper.CallMethod(Object obj, String
    methodName, Object[] args)

    Riku Kosonen, Jan 4, 2005

  2. There are all kinds of reaswons why an email might go missing at the
    receiving end. SPAM filters, Junk Email filters, dropped packets, and let's
    not forget the end user deleting it by accident.

    As for the ThreadAbortException, that could be caused by the Application
    recycling. It could also be caused by your code, if you're using Threading.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    Neither a follower nor a lender be.

    Kevin Spencer, Jan 4, 2005

  3. Riku Kosonen

    Simon Harris Guest

    Is it always the same email addresses that do not recieve the message?

    Simon Harris, Jan 4, 2005
  4. Riku Kosonen

    Riku Kosonen Guest

    We couldn't repeat that test because it was done in a production environment
    with live users. All the users were in the same mail-domain though. Some
    users received their mail and some didn't. Other similar tests in a test
    environment worked fine (apart from one that was interrupted in an
    exception).

    Riku Kosonen, Jan 5, 2005